New appliance has plug, old one is wired to FCU - options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm going to be getting a new fridge freezer. It comes with a plug on the power cord. My current fridge freezer is hard wired into an FCU. What is the easiest (and cheapest) option:

Cut off plug on new appliance and wire to the existing FCU?

OR

Change FCU to a normal socket and plug the appliance into it?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Either of your options is acceptable.

I would fit a socket - if there is room. Perhaps there is not and that is why an FCU was fitted.
There is room if I'm happy with the fridge freezer sticking out a bit, would rather not have that. Presumably a straight forward job to wire into the FCU?
Either of your options is acceptable.

I would fit a socket - if there is room. Perhaps there is not and that is why an FCU was fitted.
There is room although fridge freezer will stick out a bit, would rather avoid that though. Presumably easy enough to wire into the existing FCU?

Mine was a new build in 2010, and fcu’s have been used for appliances with switches above the worktops.
Exactly what I have. Bank of switches with all the appliances on it.

Some manufacturers will try to use that to void the warranty (incorrectly but will give a lot of hassle).
Really?! Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but thanks for highlighting this.

This seems to be a fad with new builds. Completely unnecessary, appliances have their own switches.

One day builders accountants will realise this and work out how much they can save by not doing it times the number of houses they build.
No power switch on our washing machine,

No power switch on our dishwasher,

No power switch on our tumble dryer,

No power switch on our fridge,

No power switch on our freezer,

No power switch on our microwave,

No power switch on our cooker,

No power switch on our cooker hood,

No power switch on our kitchen tv,

No power switch on our kitchen stereo,
One day contributers will realise appliances DONT have their own switches...

This seems to be a fad with new builds. Completely unnecessary, appliances have their own switches.

One day builders accountants will realise this and work out how much they can save by not doing it times the number of houses they build.
Best way to do it.

Quick easy isolation when you want it.

Messing about with sockets in cupboards is ok, but sometimes it's preferred to do this way.

No power switch on our washing machine,

No power switch on our dishwasher,

No power switch on our tumble dryer,

No power switch on our fridge,

No power switch on our freezer,

No power switch on our microwave,

No power switch on our cooker,

No power switch on our cooker hood,

No power switch on our kitchen tv,

No power switch on our kitchen stereo,
I have all those apart from kitchen stereo they all have power switches. You just need to find them.

Problem you have this bank of switches you never use. Suddenly you want to isolate something and you stand there wondering which switch is the right one.

How often do you need quick easy isolation? Your CU is your friend.

Well, I always like to make sure the oven, the hob, and the washing machine are turned off at the wall when not in use, so I don't have to worry about a potential disaster happening.

I like to leave the fridge/freezer working at all times, I must admit that.

Suddenly you want to isolate something and you stand there wondering which switch is the right one.
Mine are labelled, however some have rubbed off, but I still know which are which.

Well, I always like to make sure the oven, the hob, and the washing machine are turned off at the wall when not in use, so I don't have to worry about a potential disaster happening.

I like to leave the fridge/freezer working at all times, I must admit that.
My oven, and many others has a clock and if you turn it off at the wall it won't work again till you reset the clock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back