One FCU, 2 devices???

IUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been reading this forum for a year or so and it has helped me greatly in fixing my place up. I've almost finished the kitchen, and before i do the tiling have a question... Is it against regulations to plug a washing machine AND my fridge-freezer into 1 FCU, using a 2-way extension socket plugged into the FCU? The FCU is such that, the actual switch is above worktop height, and below worktop height is a single plain socket (so, anything plugged in here would be double-fused via its actual plug and then the FCU fuse above). I've used the search function to find an answer but nothing seems to match my query. Maybe there is an issue with the load being pulled by a running washing machine and fridge-freezer (both are just 'normal' brand new machines) which means i should have separate FCU's, i don't know, but before i call in an electrician i would like to find out first.
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Do you have the actuall appliances? If so can you give us the power rating of each appliance (It will be written on a plate somewhere near where the flex enters the appliance) They will be rated in either watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). There may be a problem with the load if both appliances are running at the same time. We can advise you further when we know the loads.

HTH

Rob

how are you going to plug anything in to an fcu?

p2844050_l.jpg

that asside i wouldnt as a heater in a w/m draws around 12A so if you fridge kicks in fuse may go

If you read the post again you will see it says an FCU feeding a socket below the worktop.

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
If you read the post again you will see it says an FCU feeding a socket below the worktop.

but he also says

IUK said:
plug a washing machine AND my fridge-freezer into 1 FCU........................

see
IUK said:
Hi,
I've been reading this forum for a year or so and it has helped me greatly in fixing my place up. I've almost finished the kitchen, and before i do the tiling have a question... Is it against regulations to plug a washing machine AND my fridge-freezer into 1 FCU, using a 2-way extension socket plugged into the FCU? The FCU is such that, the actual switch is above worktop height, and below worktop height is a single plain socket (so, anything plugged in here would be double-fused via its actual plug and then the FCU fuse above). I've used the search function to find an answer but nothing seems to match my query. Maybe there is an issue with the load being pulled by a running washing machine and fridge-freezer (both are just 'normal' brand new machines) which means i should have separate FCU's, i don't know, but before i call in an electrician i would like to find out first.
Thanks for any help

I sort of get the gist of what he is asking and agree with Breezer, having a washing machine and fridge freezer on the same 13A fuse is not a good idea.

Hi,
Yes the FCU switch is connected to a single non-switched socket outlet (hiding below worktop height), so it's possible to connect either a washing machine or fridge via a normal plug, not 'hard wired' directly into the FCU itself. So, i'm considering plugging the W-M/C and fridge-freezer into a regular 2-way 'trailing' extension, and plugging the extension into the FCU (via, of course, the single non-switched socket outlet it has hiding below, not directly hard-wired). The load ratings are as follows:

Washing machine: 2050 Watts
Fridge-freezer: 120 Watts (has A+ rating)

So the fridge-freezer has a very low load rating.

Hope this helps,
many thanks

its not the way you want to connect it that worries me, its the heater in the mc and the starting current of the f/f

OK Breezer,
Thanks for your reply, I think i'll give it a go and see if a fuse goes once both devices are running/starting, if it blows then i'll get another FCU fitted.
Regards.

cheaper / easier to fit 2 fcu in the first place i would have thought.

your choice not mine

It wouldn't be cheaper for me, i'd have to pay a Part-P electrician to fit an FCU! Many thanks

I happened to be looking at my electric meter disc once when the fridge freezer compressor kicked in, and for about one second it spun like the electric shower was on, possibly drawing 30A for a second.

A plug fuse can withstand this, but add another 13A on from a washing machine, and you're probably in trouble.

Hi,
Well i've been running both the fridge and washMC all day today off the 1 FCU via the 2way extension, all good so far, done 5 wash loads.. seems to be ok, or i've just been lucky so far with no simultaneous power draws! Will keep monitoring it.

we had our entire kitchen on a 15A rewirable for many years (over a decade i think) and iirc it blew far less than once a year!

plugwash said:
we had our entire kitchen on a 15A rewirable for many years (over a decade i think) and iirc it blew far less than once a year!

Ah the good old nail for fuse trick ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back