Fcu question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a fcu for a washing machine above a worktop supplys a socket below the worktop for the washer then is the fcu wired into the ring or taken as a spur from the ring or is both methods ok - noticed all these neon fcu labled for washers fridges etc supplying sockets and just curious

Sponsored Links
I've often wondered this. I would think the most typical way that people use a FCU is on a spur from the ring but I would have also thought that it could be used wired on the ring if you wanted.

But I'm no spark! I'm sure someone will answer this question shortly :D

Anyone know which method is prefered?

wired into the ring is always preferable as it leaves just 2 sets of wires to terminate at any given point, no need to try and cram 3 sets of wires into a terminal..

incidentally, with an odd numer of wires it's best to double over one wire end to keep the screw pressure even over the whole group..

if you are using a fused plug beneath the workshop, some people (me) think it is preferable to have a 20A DP switch, with label and neon, above the worktop, with an unswitched single socket as a single spur, directly vertically below the switch.

the switch can be wired into the ring which can (should) be run horizontally 150mm or so above the worktop round most of the kitchen, with a plentiful supply of sockets and switches in a neat row.

the advantage of using a switch rather than an FCU is that you then achieve the ideal number of fuses per appliance (one).

Sponsored Links
is it safe to run a 20A switch straight off a 32A ring main without fusing down?

I would fit a fused spur above (isolation & fuse readily to hand), and a 15A socket below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back