Installing FCU's for washer/dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Can someone clarify the installation of FCU's?

My understanding is that it is a requirement to install these units above the worktop level so that washers/dishwasher can be isolated in the event of any fault such as water spillage.

Are they to be wired in just as a normal socket on a ring and then the appliance connected into the FCU by way of its power cord?
OR
Do i still have a socket beneath the worktop level to plug the appliance into and then wire from the socket into the FCU. I think this one as then i can isolate the socket the appliance is plugged into incase i need to pull the appliance out.

If it is the latter what is the correct way to connect?

Anyone have a diagram?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A double pole 20 amp switch, above the worktop, wired onto the ring main. Run 2.5mm t+e to a single unswitched socket under the worktop.

Thanks for that but still unsure.

I am looping the ring in from double socket to double socket and that is fine but never wired in an FCU before so basic steps needed. Have to cater for a dishwasher and a washer.

I have my 2.5 going from socket to socket but where does the FCU fit? Is the FCU installed just as i would another socket and then i loop to the unswitched socket the washer plugs into, and then loop out of there and into the next double socket?

Hope this helps:

ringwfcuiv4.jpg

Are you aware that electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable to your local area building control under part p of the building regs?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Crafty

Now i understand.
I am just doing the Monkey work pulling cable, cutting for boxes etc. Once that has been done a qualified sparks is coming to give the ok before they connect up. They are P certified.

Seperate FCU for each appliance i assume?
Cheeers

Me again!

Got your reply, it looked fine, had to go away from the job and now i'm back i just want to clarify a point if that is ok.

Is this correct? I have two FCU's by the way.
Loop into the double socket, then into the fcu. From the FCU do i just take the feed from the load side to the applicance socket beneath the work surface with no return to the fcu?

All the best[/img]

yes

the spur is off the ring, not in the ring.

Yes, there is only one cable to the socket under the worktop, from the load side of the FCU.

Once again
Many, many thanks.

Are there any courses, as a novice, that i could go on for domestic wiring installations and become certified?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back