New appliance has plug, old one is wired to FCU - options?

Sponsored Links
I'm not a fan of the big bank of grid swictches located somewhere in the kicthen, that seems a lot of extra/cable for nothing. I prefer to see an isolator near the machine its for before the cable drops down to the socket behind. You could argue that you can pull the machine out to isolate at the socket, but when its silly o clock at night and the machine is tripping the RCD, etc. Or you need to hard reset the electronics in the thing.

Yes, you can go to the minimum standard and say, yes, the regs allow you to class the socket outlet or the DB as your isolation, but every piece of equipment having an accessible local isolator is what I'd consider good installation practice, not an extravance

Yes, i think not providing easy or even moderately easy isolation for appliances and the like is a poor design. Embarrassingly poor, in fact.

My oven, and many others has a clock and if you turn it off at the wall it won't work again till you reset the clock.
Our cooker has a clock, turning it off at the wall stops the clock, turning it back on the cooker works perfectly without tampering with the clock

Our cooker microwave a clock, turning it off at the wall stops the clock, turning it back on the microwave works perfectly without tampering with the clock

Our stereo has a clock, turning it off at the wall stops the clock, turning it back on the stereo works perfectly without tampering with the clock

Our cooker hood has a clock, turning it off at the wall stops the clock, turning it back on the cooker hood works perfectly without tampering with the clock

Returning your useless advise back to you, I'll hazard a guess your cooker will work without tampering with the clock
You just need to find
out how

Sponsored Links
Don't believe the guff about not chopping off the plug.

This is a typical instruction manual.

Screenshot_20220417-221556.png

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I have the sockets for my built-in dishwasher, fridge/freezer, washing machine and hob at the back of adjacent cupboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back