Extending USB cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a Hive outside camera and run the usb power cable through my loft. Unfortunately, it is too short & would like to extend it so I can run it down into my airing cupboard & plug it in. is this okay to do or will it lose power/signal etc. due to it being extended?

Sponsored Links
'Should' be okay.
Issue is that as cable gets longer the voltage at the far end drops.
If voltage drops too much then Camera will not have enough power to operate.
But difficult to know where this point is without testing - all trail and error.

Try and get cable length as short as possible and good quality (but again this can be down to luck).
SFK

Sponsored Links
Not that it's any guarantee... But a USB cable has a particular fixed budget defined in the spec for VBUS/GND voltage drop. So when they make a longer cable, they are more or less forced to use thicker wire to keep within the same budget. A shorter cable may well use the thinnest possible to keep the cost down. So if they are meeting the spec the 5m cable should be just as good.

Just fitted a 5m USB extension up through airing cupboard. Works perfect. Next question, is it fine to have the USB cable under my loft insulation?

Yes it is fine.
If worried put it against plasterboard or joist rather than in middle of insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back