extending washing machine drain hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a new washing machine (hasn't been delivered yet) and the drain hose will be too short. The installers won't attach a drain hose extension (they say it is a liability issue).

So, does this mean it is risky to have an extension on the drain hose? Or, is it commonly done & safe? I don't want to risk flooding etc. The other problem is, neither my husband nor I know how to attach an extension. Do I call a plumber for this, or is it easy to learn?

I appreciate any advice asap as the new washer will be delivered next week!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I also need to extend a drain hose, and am planning to call into Wickes later and buy an extension hose and one of these kits:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/420182

Both of the comments about this item mention that the two hose connectors are not included. Do I need to buy these or will the valve itself (plus jubilee clips) be sufficient to do the job?

It looks to me as if you only need to buy a hose connector if you only have the corrugated hose with no rubber collar to make the connection - if your hoses have the collars you don't need the connectors. Is that right?

Sponsored Links
It is not advisable to extend a drain hose. The drainage system should be brought closer to the appliance, eg extend the plumbing to the washer.

The drain pump is designed to pump water to the extent of the drain hose, no further. The joint is also a great place for the fluff and other oddities in the draining water to collect and eventually block up. The manufacturers engineers may claim it has voided your warranty or charge you for any call out if they come across this and it is the cause of any problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back