extending window sills for exterior wall insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we will be getting exterior wall insulation done in the next few weeks months and as it is free on a government initiative as far as i am aware there is no choice on the sills apart from a white plastic oversill, i am not keen on these so was thinking about extending the 3 front sills in concrete and just wanted to know thoughts on this from more experienced construction diyers or professionals.My plan is to drill and insert bolt anchors into the existing sills and using wire attach a 1m theaded steel bar between them resting on the bolts,sills are about 2m so will need 2 each sill then build a form and i think extend the sill downwards too so it is thicker as i think this will look better, can anyone see any problem with this? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thermally it's a bad idea, you are creating a large thermal bridge, you can get eps sills which you can colour the same as concrete which would solve your problems.

If you want to cast a new sill you'd be better off taking out the old one and starting again, you will always get a crack where the old and new concrete meet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back