Extension idea and roof height issues

i have no experience if using a designer so dont know which sort i might get, so in my eyes to approach them with a plausible outline would increase the chances of coming out with a design that's right first time for planning, but also something I will be happy to look at for the next decade!
I have had had clients just like you, maybe 'nightmare clients' was a bit strong, naive would be better, they end up with a mediocre design when they could have had something really good because they focus on the wrong things. Don't get me wrong this will be a nice little earner for your plans drawer, they won't have to think and will take no responsibility if it happens to get thrown out of planning when you realise that the standard 2 paragraph response from your pre-planning app holds no weight whatsoever. You're in cloud cuckoo land if you think a decent design can be knocked up over a forum.

Sponsored Links
You're in cloud cuckoo land if you think a decent design can be knocked up over a forum.

Sorry freddy, but I'm not exactly sure what your grievance is with me/this thread. You seem to be inferring that I should leave everything in the hands of a designer and just let let them put in an application, rather than having input to my own extension design and engage with the planning dept ahead of any application.

I'm not attempting a DIY design over this forum. I have a idea for my extension, but foresee a problem with that idea because of the contraints of planning rules about extension being lower than the existing roof coupled with the fact I have a very low roof already - and thus I am seeking help on that.

I would have though designers would prefer someone that has at least half a clue about some of the design contraints they must adhere to for planning reasons. Is that not the case for you?

Im not sure how you gauge a really good design vs a mediocre one, but I live in a pretty boring 70s built housing development where some off the wall solution (which I would interpret as a really good design) simply will look out of place and so I am happy to settle for a bog standard (mediocre) design providing I am happy with how it looks and it gets through planning.

I would have though designers would prefer someone that has at least half a clue about some of the design constraints they must adhere to for planning reasons. Is that not the case for you?
It doesn't make any difference, I ensure they understand the process they are about to embark upon.

I live in a pretty boring 70s built housing development where some off the wall solution (which I would interpret as a really good design) simply will look out of place
Who said 'off the wall', good quality design does not have to be mediocre and if done well can fly through planning.

Andy;
Had a quick look at that site, and the link to the planning portal site, and it's just b******s.
An LPA would not be allowed to discriminate and 'fast-tack' aplications in this way. All this scheme does is ensure that submissions are complete and that the admin. department at the LPA has all the plans and documents it needs to register the application.
Any competent agent would ensure this is done correctly anyway. The actual process of considering the application itself is not thereby speeded up.
It's just an advertising gimick.

Sponsored Links
Who said 'off the wall', good quality design does not have to be mediocre and if done well can fly through planning.

As I said, I don't know what you class as good design, I was just guessing.

It just makes me chuckle that you think that by me showing an interest in the design idea before employing a professional is somehow going to be detrimental to the design in the long run. How can you possibly know that?

If you want clients with blank minds (and i guess blank cheques) then so be it, but I would rather do my own research and have my own ideas to feed into the design process as I think it will ultimately get me closer to a suitable design sooner rather than later. I will just have to find a designer that agrees with that ethos.

Andy;
Had a quick look at that site, and the link to the planning portal site, and it's just b******s.
An LPA would not be allowed to discriminate and 'fast-tack' aplications in this way. All this scheme does is ensure that submissions are complete and that the admin. department at the LPA has all the plans and documents it needs to register the application.
Any competent agent would ensure this is done correctly anyway. The actual process of considering the application itself is not thereby speeded up.
It's just an advertising gimick.

Thanks Tony, that's a very good point that any competent person would tick those boxes anyway.

I've been looking at the local authority planning map and getting designer details from some of the better looking designs there, so I've got some numbers of people to call.

You still don't have a clue.

So come on freddy,if I'm so clueless then why don't you try assisting rather than throwing out insults?!

I know joe 90s been a bit quiet lately but there no need to take up his mantle.

This is a forum for people to ask for help and advice and that's exactly what I'm doing. If you don't wish to help then just move on to the next thread and stop cluttering up this one.

You're in cloud cuckoo land if you think a decent design can be knocked up over a forum.
The forum has been here before, your thread is not uncommon, you cannot produce anything meaningful without looking at existing layouts, elevations, site boundary's, street scenes, reading up on exactly what your Local Plan expects, what others have done, etc etc etc. There are many areas the forum can offer in-depth and invaluable advice however designing two storey extensions with unusual roofs is not one of them. The only reason luisdesign was persisting is because he's a newbie.

Where have I asked anyone to design a two storey extension? Suggestions for how a roof could be done is all I've asked for.

I found luis's input helpful and was tony's. whether someone is new or not makes no difference, it's about sharing ideas.

Just move on freddy, don't waste your time trying to police forum.

I'm sure you'll be much more entertained by telling someone for the umpteenth time that the through room the previous owner of their house did without notification 10 years ago shouldn't matter when they sell now. As long as you get your little thank you button pressed you'll be a happy chappy.

Thanks again to luis and tony for constructive input.

Freddy you are my new hero.

You rule this little section with an iron fist. Good bless you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back