Replacing pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a small single storey extension which extends to 1.3m the 2.5m width at the rear of the terraced property. It has a poorly constructed sloping pitched roof which we would like to replace with a warm flat roof.

The roof would be the same height as existing where it adjoins the main structure, but at the 1.3m point it would be be 400mm higher. The extension adjoins a similar, but larger, flat-roofed extension on the next door terrace. Our roof is, and would still be, slightly lower than that of the neighbour's.

It is intended to construct the roof in accordance with, or better than, building regulation requirements.

1. Would we require planning permission?

2. I assume we must have building regs approval.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, I appreciate that, I will try to get some next week, as I live some distance away.

Basically, the rear of his terrace kitchen is 2.5m wide, and a single storey extension goes out 1.3m, with a rubbish pitched roof. It is only 5'10" inside at the end of the extension, and we wish to raise this to almost level with where the extension roof joins the house, imagine rotating the existing roof about 20 degrees around a pivot point which is the lead flashing into the main structure brickwork, but actually building a warm flat roof instead. I hope thats clear.

You would not appear to require PP. You will need b/regs approval - just submit a building notice, no need for plans

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back