Permission to change roof of extension from flat to pitched?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an unusual one here, so I've not been able to find my answer online. We have a single storey extension, 3m at the rear of the house which was built in the 1970's. It has a flat roof which is leaking. We want to change it to a pitched tiled roof. Do we need permission?

End of terrace house
Heigh of extension is less than 3m
It's full width of the house (5.65m)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have low pitch roof tiles so I can get into these limits (just). I take it building regs will apply? Is it just for the roof, or will the reg apply to the entire extension (even though it's not being modified beyond the roof?).

Sponsored Links
Now, I thought I'd read somewhere that the 4m limit may be (as in, can be allowed to be) breached if the pitch of the extension roof is copying the pitch of the house roof..

Perhaps it was in the "10 worst PD loopholes" when talking about high walls next to boundaries

Oh hello, its the new BAS! :rolleyes:

Surely not; even though he asked it as a question, it's a question that is geared towards complying with the law, rather than breaking it. Not that either of these things happen in questions, of course, because questions are just questions.. but I think tony might have had to have worded it a bit more like "Don't fit a new lintel, just plaster over the old one and don't tell the BCO?" before it would be truly fair to level such an accusation?

Thanks. I have low pitch roof tiles so I can get into these limits (just). I take it building regs will apply? Is it just for the roof, or will the reg apply to the entire extension (even though it's not being modified beyond the roof?).

Yes, building regs will apply to the roof. They will want to make sure you use the correct size timbers and insulate and ventilate to current regs and that the tiles are adequate for the roof pitch. They may also want to know that any extra load you are adding is adequately supported by the fabric of the building, but i imagine it will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back