Extension lighting run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am about to screed my extension floor and need some lighting for the long days ahead.
It has a high vaulted ceiling I was thinking of running the cable through where the steel beam is and then dropping down.

I have put wooden battens across to attach plasterboard at some point. Would I just run the cable up the wall edge and saw some batten off or just run under batten and cover later? What best way?
When I dropping light cables from steel beam would I need to just notch out some batten as cable with be perpendicular to batten
20200510_180224.jpg
20200510_180234.jpg
?
Attach pics for idea. Just looking for best practice so it doesn't need redoing later.

Joiner has put some 4" x 2" in between the steel to attach straps to. Should I clip to this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I will guess the extension is under the control of local authority? So the main thing is not to upset the LABC inspector, there are two options with electrics, one is using a scheme member electrician the other is for the LABC to do the inspection and testing, there have been problems in the past where the LABC thought some one was using a scheme member electrician but the person who was doing the job thought the LABC was doing the inspection.

If the LABC is not involved then three considerations, one will the wiring fall in the event of a fire, two will the wiring be able to dissipate any heat generated and three will the installation weaken the structure beyond limits. I can't work out why screed my extension floor has anything to do with wire in the roof space. Neither can I see the steel beam so I really have no idea what you want to do, or question your asking, is it related to structure being degraded or is an electrical question?

However it normally depends on who is signing the paperwork as to what you can do, so be it an installation certificate, a completion certificate or a compliance certificate your question needs to be addressed to them, as they are the ones who at end of the day matter.

I will guess the extension is under the control of local authority? So the main thing is not to upset the LABC inspector, there are two options with electrics, one is using a scheme member electrician the other is for the LABC to do the inspection and testing, there have been problems in the past where the LABC thought some one was using a scheme member electrician but the person who was doing the job thought the LABC was doing the inspection.

If the LABC is not involved then three considerations, one will the wiring fall in the event of a fire, two will the wiring be able to dissipate any heat generated and three will the installation weaken the structure beyond limits. I can't work out why screed my extension floor has anything to do with wire in the roof space. Neither can I see the steel beam so I really have no idea what you want to do, or question your asking, is it related to structure being degraded or is an electrical question?

However it normally depends on who is signing the paperwork as to what you can do, so be it an installation certificate, a completion certificate or a compliance certificate your question needs to be addressed to them, as they are the ones who at end of the day matter.

Hi

Thanks for the response. Right so build the work is notifiable under building control. I am basically doing what I can until I can get builders back for some joinery and electrical work. Screeding the floor is a job I am doing next. It will involve working late into the night so I was wanting to add some lights so i can see what im doing and get things level! The lights will be temporary really but rather than just lash in the cable i thought if it was done some where near right the person doing the work will not have to redo it and I won't have made a mess.
The steel beam is the big Brown thing in the picture at the top that the trusses sit on.
Maybe I'll just clip some wire where i can and it can be removed afterwards. It's just two or three lights.

In the main temporary means flex, and permanent means twin and earth, reusing twin and earth is not a good idea as you don't know how it has been stressed, so temporary lights will not really affect any future permanent fixtures.

Sponsored Links
Twin and earth is what I have and what I will use. I hadn't really thought about the semantics about what constitutes permanent and temporary cables.
If the cables I use isn't installed correctly then it can be discarded and a new lengths of cable used. I'm not going worry about it.
I just wanted to do a good job and save on waste maybe learn something!

I have a similar roof, I made a wood batten frame around the beam and covered in two layers of plasterboard.
Light cables were running along the beam and simply dropped down where it was needed.
Top of roof was just under 4m, presume yours is similar.

I have a similar roof, I made a wood batten frame around the beam and covered in two layers of plasterboard.
Light cables were running along the beam and simply dropped down where it was needed.
Top of roof was just under 4m, presume yours is similar.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I will obviously leave PB off until it's been given the OK inspected etc just seemed sensible to use this space and it's sturdy to get clips, galv straps and whatever else is needed.
Yeah roof a bit higher than yours but principle is the same.

Or you can run the supply to the switches and then run a cable UP to each light or group of lights.

It doesn't really matter.

Or you can run the supply to the switches and then run a cable UP to each light or group of lights.

It doesn't really matter.
Yes I had though of this but thought it might get busy in the switches if the finishes article had two way switching in this room as it's quite large also meaning three core etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back