Extension question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house had a garage built onto the size of it about 12 years ago. Its got proper footings, DPC and is of brick construction (And inner and outer skin) however there is no airspace between the bricks. All this was done with planning permission and signed off.

I am considering building up over the top of the garage in order to create two more room above it, then extend the existing roof so it all ties in. What I wonder is if the existing garage walls can be utilised despite the fact there is no airspace between? or if the full lot would need to be rebuilt to current building regs.

My best mate is a bricklayer and brother is a roofer, I can do most of the other bits, it just seems rude not to. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It is possible but you may either need to involve steel work or build another skin to the existing masonry.

I did wonder if building another skin internally would suffice, seems fairly straight forward.

Sponsored Links
Build it up as 9" and then insulate on the inside with Celotex

It is an option, but i personally would explore other avenues first. I certainly wouldn't encourage it if you intended fixing a large number of items to the walls, like say you would in a kitchen for instance. Woody's' suggestion is the most economical though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back