Extensions or extensions/conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put some plans together for a domestic property. The first option is to extend and the second option is to extend and convert into flats.

The house itself is a 3-bed semi-detached house. At present, there is only one bathroom (including W.C.) on the ground floor. I am proposing to extend the property but we will still be left with 3 bedrooms but a family bathroom at first floor, a new bedroom will have an en-suite, etc...

Do you think the LPA would be more favourable to extensions to this house or do you think they would prefer to see this property split into two flats (i.e. ground and first floor flat)? There is adequate space for off-street parking, so that will not be an issue. I will have to double check what additional documents/drawings they would like to see if we were to go in for the flats.

What I was thinking was... if we get the approval for the extensions, we can proceed and then maybe later look at applying to convert to flats. If we apply for the flats and get that refused, the building footprint will remain the same as the flat conversion works would be subject to the property being extended.

So, would we have more of a "chance" going in for extensions rather than extensions/conversion?

Sponsored Links
It does not matter what they prefer, if the extension conforms to their policy then it should be approved, and if the flat conversion conforms to the usual criteria, then again it should be approved

Yes. I just had the idea of if the extensions were approved, then we could build the shell and then maybe look at going in for the conversion later. If the extensions/flats were refused, that means we wouldn't be able to build anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back