exterior 1 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a exterior light switch, which works fine until i flick the light switch. it then trips out.the wiring is as follow:
form the mains to the light switch i have black in L1
red in L2
earth to the mounting box

Then I double these wires up to the light.
When I turn the power on, the light comes on and when i flick the light switsh it blows.
can anyone tell where i am going wrong, I have a feeling that the wiring in the light switch is not quite right.

Sponsored Links
Flembo said:
I have a feeling that the wiring in the light switch is not quite right.
You're about half correct - the wiring in the switch is wrong, but it's not "not quite right", it is dreadfully and appallingly wrong.

A light switch has 1 live wire coming in and one switched live going out, working the switch connects the live to the switched live which goes to the light. The light also has a neutral, which does not go to or come from the switch.

It sounds as though what you have done is to take live and neutral to the switch, connect them to the terminals and then connect the light to the same terminals. So when the switch is off, power goes to the light, and when it is on you short live and neutral and the fuse/MCB blows/trips.

I know I shall get stick for saying this, but quite frankly what you have done shows such staggering ignorance of the most rudimentary fundamentals of electricity - the sort of fundamentals that are taught to 12-year olds in school, that I wonder if you should be attempting this at all?

Quite what you thought a switch would do when connected between two wires which you knew yourself went direct from the mains to the light beats me.

Try starting here - http://www.diydick.com/site-main-button-index-pages/electrical-menu-frame.htm

I don't think you should be given "connect this to that" type instructions - I think it is vital that you can work it out for yourself on the basis of understanding what goes on.

thanks for that ban-all-sheds.

I have just had a thought could it be

form the live to the light switch

Red to L1
black to common
Earth to Mounting box

and from the light switch to the light

Red to L2
black to common
Earth to Mounting box
and when the light switch is pressed it will make the connection across L1 to L2

No, that's not how light switches work, and you'll still short out live and neutral.

Please read the information on the website I referenced above.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
I know I shall get stick for saying this, but quite frankly what you have done shows such staggering ignorance of the most rudimentary fundamentals of electricity - the sort of fundamentals that are taught to 12-year olds in school, that I wonder if you should be attempting this at all?

Ban, why did you think you'd get stick for saying this? This is another example of someone trying to do something they clearly have no idea how to do, without any apparent care for how dangerous electricity can be.

I'm surprised Breezer hasn't jumped in with his usual quote, so I'll do it instead: Electricity has no prejudices, it kills anyone.

ninebob said:
I'm surprised Breezer hasn't jumped in with his usual quote, so I'll do it instead: Electricity has no prejudices, it kills anyone.

i wasn't here

ok so i realise that I may have it wrong. Isnt this was this site is all about to educate people like me and show me where i am going wrong. I would appreciate it if you would just tell me.

here is how it should be wired

join the black wires with a terminal block inside the lightswitch box
take one red to com and the other red to either L1 or L2 (if your switch operates upside down move it to the other one)

thank you for that plugwash
I really appreciate it. And if the other guys are reading this, i will isolate the electricity before i do any work on the Light. Thanks for your concern

Flembo said:
Isnt this was this site is all about to educate people like me and show me where i am going wrong.

actually NO IT ISNT, it is to point you in the right direction, not a teach you how to do it site.

as you have been told "electricity has no prejudices, it kills any one"

this isnt said as a joke (never said you said it was) the point is you should learn (preferably on a course) how to do simple things, and get a basic understanding of electricity, you may still wire up your light, but how do we know how good or bad you terminate cables? (we don't) that is why this is NOT a teach you diy site

Flembo said:
ok so i realise that I may have it wrong. Isnt this was this site is all about to educate people like me and show me where i am going wrong. I would appreciate it if you would just tell me.
I'm sure you would.

And sadly plugwash has.

So now your utter ignorance, compounded by your utter unwillingness to rectify that ignorance by going away and learning something is no barrier to you getting your light to work.

Let's hope you've got lucky with all the other aspects that plugwash didn't mention, and that you clearly don't think you need to bother with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back