2 Gang 2 Way 10 Amp Switch Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently replacing older plastic switches with metal ones.

Unlike the old switches which have L1 L2 and C, new switches have L3 instead of C. Having tried to wire them up this way they don't work properly.

When the light is on (using new switch) and I flick the second new switch the light stays on. I also have to turn the other switch off to get switch 2 to work on/off.

The wiring diagram with the new switches suggests different wiring to the L1 L2 and C arrangement. I have one new (single 2 way) switch (wired the old way) and one old switch (double 2 way) and it works fine. Swop in a new 2 gang 2 way and wire it the old way i.e use L3 as C and the light stays on in either position.

I'm open to ideas but wiring diagram suggests L1 yellow, L2 red or brown and L3 black or blue. Do I do this for both new switches and sod the current arrangement.

Another thing is that the twin and earth on the single switch has 2 reds. Does it matter which one goes to the red (L2) and blue (L3).

Ideas please.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
NO! THE NEW SWITCHES HAVE L1 INSTEAD OF C!

look at the layout of the switch. COM is always at the top of the triangle, on the new switches this is L1, top of the triangle!

Crafty,

So few words but such infinite wisdom!

Thanks for that. Everything now works fine and my girlfriend thinks I know what I'm doing!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back