1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

exterior lights

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by msmorto, 6 Jan 2015.

1. msmorto

msmorto

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have 2 light fixture on the back door of my house, one light works the other do not , I have replace both light with new one and the same thing happen,
    the switch is on the inside next to the back door. at the box that the light that does not work has a white and a black wire both are hot ? I just bough this house about 6 month ago the house was built in the 70,s

2. Sponsored Links
  3. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I assume by "hot" you mean 110 volts above ground voltage and the lamps are 110 volt.

The Black will be "hot" when the lamp is switched on. The White should close to the ground voltage at all times.

Therefore I would suggest that the white wire has become disconnected some where.

4. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What you say is basically correct but voltage in the US is 120V not 110V.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local