Exterior porch Victorian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I want to paint exterior porch walls on our victorian house.

To prepare I've removed loose peeling paint which has created a bit of damage in the paint surface.
I've tried filling the damaged areas with masonry filler which didn't work.

I've come up with two possible solutions:

1. Buy some exterior skim plaster and plaster over the whole area.
2. Remove all paint (slightly concerned the surface will end up being a bit uneven as it's very old).

Any thoughts what might work best?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Why didn't the masonry filler work? And which masonry filler did you use?

On my current job, I need to tidy up a (Victorian) porch that has no current flaking paint but clearly did previously. There is about 2mm difference in paint levels. The render has groves in it to make it look like block work.

I plan to use Toupret Murex to back fill, and then sand it flush.

The difference however is that I am filling on a (pretend) block by block basis.

If your plastering is good enough, that may well be the best option.

Why didn't the masonry filler work? And which masonry filler did you use?

On my current job, I need to tidy up a (Victorian) porch that has no current flaking paint but clearly did previously. There is about 2mm difference in paint levels. The render has groves in it to make it look like block work.

I plan to use Toupret Murex to back fill, and then sand it flush.

The difference however is that I am filling on a (pretend) block by block basis.

If your plastering is good enough, that may well be the best option.
Thanks for reply.

I've used Toupret masonry repair which has been great for other applications.
The peeling paint has left only minor surface damage (less than 1 mm) which may explain why it didn't work so well.

I tried polyfilla exterior which was better
The problem is that there's lots of flimsy peeling paint so I'd have to cover quite large areas.

Any product recommendations for a complete skim coat? I know Toupret do a skim coat filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back