Exterior wall painting after rendering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My exterior wall has just had some render put on and would like to know how long to leave it before going over it with exterior paint..
What paint would you recommend and would the paint need watered down for the first coat and how many coats altogether..

Sponsored Links
Ray,

The drying time of the render will and often is weather/climate dependant, as a general rule of thumb it should be uniform in colour. If you have any doubt whatsover that your render is not dry you should refrain from painting it, your first coat should be thinned around 10% folowed by two finish coats thinned around 5%. Ensure each coat is fully dry before further application is made.

Dec

Sorry I forgot the paint, you should go for either johnstones trade, or dulux weathershield. One tip hear is you will achieve both better protection and longevity with a textured coating as opposed to a smooth, and before anyone asks me why this is I frankly have no idea. ;)

Dec

The texture paint has a larger surface area due to the granules so is by nature a thicker coating - hence it doesn't go so far, but is more resilient.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back