External brick walls not straight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for a bot of advice if poss

Have recently noticed that at least two of the external brick walls in my Miller built house are not straight i.e they deviate in what I can only describe as a wavy fashion in places on the vertical.

On checking the nhbc website they seem to suggest that its acceptable for a walls to be "wavy" up to certain tolerance. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to check how far off vertical they are in places but its pretty obvious looking up from ground level.

Is this common? Can it be put down to shonky bricklaying? Can't see any signs of cracking or movement internally or externally...

Many thanks

Shug

Sponsored Links
You have to drop a plumb line down and measure the gap. Up to 8mm either way is within their standards.
Site work brickwork is often slashed at 100mph, so some of the work isn't the best.

Thanks folks

The house is well past the 10 year "guarantee" so I'd be on to plums in terms of getting it put right so to speak. My main concern is that the walls are not going to fall down as a result. I assume I would see some signs if this was likely to happen?

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks

The house is well past the 10 year "guarantee" so I'd be on to plums in terms of getting it put right so to speak. My main concern is that the walls are not going to fall down as a result. I assume I would see some signs if this was likely to happen?

I think they'd have to be realllly wobbly for that to be a risk. Having said that, since you didn't quantify the amount at all in your post it could be one gust away from collapsing all together.

46bb12dd80fb42ba9ad872ebc6ba319a.jpg

02ca95a571e95eba42c1b391320a3124.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back