External decorating - rusted beading on extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am about to decorate the outside of my house but on the newer extension (less than 10 yrs old) the builders used a beading on the edges which are now rusting, a couple of places quite badly. (I forget if the beads are galvanised or stainless steel, whichever they are the ones used for the windows are fine).

Anyway, I've had various advice covering everything from cutting out the beading, replacing for the non-rusting beading, others have said that it can just be sanded down and painted over (but will rust through again in time) or thirdly it could be sanded down, sealed with varying kinds of sealant (one guy mentioned using marine grade stuff as I'm 1/4 mile from the coast) and then after that painted, which should last 5+ years.

I wouldn't attempt the bead removal myself and I've been quoted £750 to do this but would rather avoid having this done if it isn't needed. Another guy quoted me £75 to sand it down (scaffold tower needed) and seal with marine grade sealant and prime ready for painting for £150 (more like it).

Tackling the latter option myself is also out of the question due to back problems.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
£750 and if it`s done with stainless last for years :idea: Depends if you`re still going to be in the house after those first 5 years . Selling it and there would be a quick £150 again to hide @ sale time . Are you Sussex coast ;)

£750 and if it`s done with stainless last for years :idea: Depends if you`re still going to be in the house after those first 5 years . Selling it and there would be a quick £150 again to hide @ sale time . Are you Sussex coast ;)

Thanks for the info....... no Channel Islands :D

I can't see us affording to move for a long time and I hate things not looking right. I find it hard to understand why people use these when this happends. My in-laws had a new build about 2 years ago and their problem is far worse.... surely stainless is the way to go, even if it costs a bit more! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I know why they use the wrong things - all over on buildings - Not the right kit on site ...Semi skilled labour , even Labourers used to have certain skills : for instance they had their own shovels , and you could see your face in them , A clean shovel works easier , and if your grafting for 9 hours .... ;) No- one on site actually has an interest in the overall construction . I`m the last of a dying breed :LOL: and so are many of the guys here on Diy not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back