External Electrics for a Tortoise Enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone could give some advice on running power from my consumer unit to an external Tortoise enclosure? I am a bit of a noob with electrics.

I have a Wylex NHRS6604 unit that is a 12 way split load. Configuration is 6 +6.
Link https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/consumer-units/0424683/
I'll be putting probably 2 x 100W Heat lamps and a couple of UV strip lights on it.

The consumer unit is at the other end of the house, we have external insulation around that stops at around 6" from the ground. I was thinking of coming through the wall and running along the underside of this in some sort of ducting if that's OK to do?

Could anyone advise on what to look out for hazard wise and sort of kit would be most robust for this. Ideally good value but Tortoise comfort > Lowest Cost.

Sponsored Links
s-l96.jpg
mxvTkZTgvlTWzerxujUjskQ.jpg
Be it ready built or self build you will need a temperature controller STC-1000 or Inkbird ITC 308 are the two used by many aquarium user or beer brewer, UK versions are made pictures are to give you an idea what they look like.

Cheers ericmark! I thought they would be a bit pricier but that's not a bad price at all.
It's gonna be a custom build. 3M x 2M x 0.7M raised bed with a half greenhouse/half brick house, various plants, water feature, partially turfed. Meshed lid to cover the whole thing.

All seems a bit unnecessary. A tortoise will hibernate in winter so does not need heat. Will need somewhere to bury itself however.

Sponsored Links
You do not have to run power all the way from the consumer unit. That would be a new circuit and that is notifiable work - needs a registered electrician, really. Your best DIY option is a spur from an existing socket - one that is on the side of the house nearest the enclosure.

How far down the garden is the enclosure? There's other complications if its a distance away...

All seems a bit unnecessary. A tortoise will hibernate in winter so does not need heat. Will need somewhere to bury itself however.
I've always felt that but I'm just going on the advice of many tortoise keepers here in the UK. I've had them a few years and they've not been hibernated before. The are quite a hardy species but I don't want them to have to put up with typical Britain if I can offer paradise.

You do not have to run power all the way from the consumer unit. That would be a new circuit and that is notifiable work - needs a registered electrician, really. Your best DIY option is a spur from an existing socket - one that is on the side of the house nearest the enclosure.

How far down the garden is the enclosure? There's other complications if its a distance away...

Yeah I figured I'd need a registered spark. I'm happy to do the work and get it signed off properly.
It's going to be about 3 Meters from the house so was guessing I need to bury the last part and use armoured cable all the way. I just don't really know anything about adding a circuit to the consumer unit and choosing the right bits for the load etc.
Some builder had this place before before the people before me and I'm not sure where could be a good place to take one from. If the plastering and central heating arevanything to go by then the rest of his work is probably shocking. The closest sockets are the kitchen in which we have about 12 sockets already - my missus sees a socket and she plugs stuff in... I don't have any certs for the obvious works he has done. This is a 90 year old house and we have 12 sockets in the kitchen...

Yeah I figured I'd need a registered spark. I'm happy to do the work and get it signed off properly.
It doesn’t work like that. The spark has to certify that he(she) DESIGNED, INSTALLED AND TESTED the work. They don’t/won’t come along and “sign off” work retrospectively.

Your best way is to find a spark who will let you do some of the grunt work, under his/her guidance.

It doesn’t work like that. The spark has to certify that he(she) DESIGNED, INSTALLED AND TESTED the work. They don’t/won’t come along and “sign off” work retrospectively.

Your best way is to find a spark who will let you do some of the grunt work, under his/her guidance.

Ah I see. Well I better get in touch with someone then. Thanks for the heads up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back