External flaking paint cured but how? Need to do it again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live in a mock Tudor semi, the bottom half is brick and the top half is rendered with the render flaring out just a little at the bottom as a profile. We had an attic extension back in 2000 and at the side of the house it altered the roof in such a way that it created a 2nd floor wall and this was rendered down to the 1st floor render. So the side now has ground floor bricks and 1st and second floor rendered.

A few years ago the bottom foot or so would flake badly quite quickly ie after only 6 to 12 months.

I tried neat external unibond and I used what I thought was a good quality paint (Sandtex) but it still flaked. Then one day a young painter offered to do it and I don't know what he did but it has lasted about 2 years so far and still looks pretty good. I have only just spotted a couple of very small flaking patches.

The front of the house is desperate to be done as it gets the worst of the weather I suppose and not being very well off now and having a scaffold tower I would like to do it myself with the same stuff my painter used but what was it?

Can anybody help tell me what it was?

Any coating i should use first etc?

What paint should I use, is Sandtex not good, what would you recommend?

I don't want to have to do it again in 2 years, if I can help it.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Possibly you painted in damp comditions? even small amount of moisture will cause flaking.
Sandtex is one of the best Masonry paints around so I'd use again but if you are wary then Dulux Weathershield is Good.
As with all things preparation is the key so Fungicide,Power Wash ,Stabilzer then Two coats of Paint use all same Brand so as to ensure the manufacturers guarantee.
Only start if weather is good and forecast gives you a few days to finish so best attempted in summer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back