External gas meter options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My gas meter is currently in my garage, the garage will be getting converted into a room so the meter will need moving, I want to move it roughly 5m back towards the main road and fit it in an external box on the outside of the house.

Am I right in thinking that a wall mounted box, the pipe comes up into the bottom of the box then has to go horizontally through the wall and into the house? This wouldn't work for me as on the other side of the wall the meter will go on is the living room and I don't want a gas pipe running along the wall of it.

Can we have one of those small little boxes that you see on the floor fitted? If so how do the pipes come and go into them?

Idealy I'd like a slim wall mounted box with the gas pipe into the bottom of the box to the meter, then the out feed to the boiler coming out the top of the box up the exterior wall the box is mounted on and into the soffits above and then along the soffits to the boiler location (we live in a chalet bungalow so the soffits are only about 12ft off the ground) is this possible?

Lastly how far from the wall do modern gas meter boxes stick out? Old ones I've seen seem to stick out a good foot or more which is a bit ugly, are modern ones slimmer?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back