Flush Gas Meter Box Fitted to Single Brick Wall

DB9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to know if this can be done. I need to move my gas meter as I'm doing a garage conversion. I was going to stick a semi-concealed box on the front of the house but having looked at one I don't like it. So the option is to stick a flush gas meter box on the side of the garage but this is only single brick. Anyone with any advice?

Sponsored Links
Boxes in cavity walls are only in a single skin.

Your only issue is that you will have the back of the box sticking out. If that is OK, then it's OK

and it cannot be more than 2 metres away from the front of the property.

Thanks guys.

The back of the box will be covered by studwork/insulation/plasterboard/plaster/paint :) so that is not an issue.

The meter will be less than 2 metres from the front of the property.

Sponsored Links
As woody says: the boxes are a single skin deep. I recently moved my box:

View media item 27437
It's in a sold 9" brick wall(No cavity). In order to have it flush with the back of the bricks I had to leave it sticking out by about 30mm. I just rendered around the gap and painted it with the same paint as on the wall, i.e. masonry paint.

It's not easy renderring around it 'cos the sides of the box are smooth plastic. I'm sure there's a little trick like PVA'ing first or something to make life a little easier.

IIRC the boxes can be on a side wall within 2 meters of the front wall as long as not behind a fence or wall.

As woody says: the boxes are a single skin deep. I recently moved my box:

plastic. I'm sure there's a little trick like PVA'ing first or something to make life a little easier.
PVA :eek: Glass fibre resin ( small ttin from car shop) blinded with sharp sand :idea:

IIRC the boxes can be on a side wall within 2 meters of the front wall as long as not behind a fence or wall.

never heard that one , seen plenty that contravene both of those criteria by a country mile, in fact recently put in for three gas and three electric that will all be behind a wall no complaints from either the gas or electric boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back