Fitting a flush gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Transco, (wales and west utilities) and coming to move my gas meter to a new flush type box out side, next month.

Meanwhile, I have to fit the box (which i bought from the build center) myself.

Are there any regulations that i need to addear to for this?

I.e. I have a window, and was going to fit the box under the window.

The main water inlet will be right next to the box also.

How high off the floor should the box be?

Any advise here would be good - I've fitted an external window before, so know about lintels etc, but i dont want the gas men to turn up and walk away cos i fitted the box wrong.

Sponsored Links
kybert said:
Are there any regulations that i need to addear to for this?
Yes, there should be a instruction with the box with all the details & measurement.

Hi, Thanks. I've got that sheet, or a simulaur one with the instructions, but they dont tell me the height to fit the box, clearance around the box or if its ok to fit it under a window.

Sponsored Links
Ok, maybe here then, page 7.
Page 6 also mentions dimensions for medium pressure supplies to windows etc. but not domestic.

Thanks for that.

It has to be 330mm from any electric, 180mm from a window, and between 500mm and 1000mm from the floor.

Should be easy enough. Also, the DPM that goes over and behind the box, does this have to be tied into the brick work below the box or just pushed down into the cavity?

Supposed to be tied into brickwork above the box on inner leaf then sloping down to top of box.

I feel stupid. What is a 'leaf' (other than the type that grow on trees)

The inner wall. On these instructions the DPM is the thick black line above the box sloping from inside to out :)

The water is on the other side of the wall to the new box. Will this be ok?

I want to move the water anyway, becuase its a lead inlet pipe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back