Flush gas meter box - is builder correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a builder round to quote for installation of a flush gas meter box. Said box is to be located between a left hand corner of the house and a window approximately 4 metres tall to the right by about a metre. Apologies for the lack of pictures, hopefully you can visualise that.

Anyway, the builder has told me that I will not require a lintel to have a flush mount gas service box installed in the wall. I know I should trust his word, but I'm a little worried given the extra load that will be on this section of wall transferred from above the window.

The house is old (probably more than 100 years), and I believe the brickwork in this area is at least three courses deep. Given the information provided, would you say there just cause for my concern or should I allow him to go ahead with the work?

Sponsored Links
A brick wall will self support over such a small span, so as long as the box is properly fixed in and there is no void between it and the brick course above, and the brickwork is sound, then it will be OK.

It will be no bother for the builder to insert a strip of flat 10mm steel when he chops the hole out though - but personally I'd trust the builder if he sounds like he knows his job

There is no issue with the load from the wall above though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back