External light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

When the house was built, I put four external lights (one either side of the garage door and a pair on the side alley) all activated by a PIR beside the garage.

There is a switch inside the garage that switches the light from PIR activated to all on. Unfortunately, SWMBO has planted a bush near the PIR that in the stormy winds, waves around and results in all lights being on most of the night while in PIR mode.

I also have PIR lights beside the front door and the PIR has three modes, operated by the switch; PIR / on / off.

Although difficult to see from the attached photo, would it be possible to alter the wiring within the switch so that I can have the PIR / on / off functions? Or is the issue that the PIR itself does not offer that function?

GarageSwitch (Large).JPG

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
You probably want a 2
Gang switch.

1 to switch the 2 top wires
1 to do existing wires and function (override)

Much easier to move the plant. I don’t have a SWMBO, I have a wife and when silly things like this happen I insist they are reversed after explaining and demonstrating why.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the switching options. Just wondering if it is possible before getting an electrician along to do the work.

The plant was small when initially planted but is doing what plants do.

Moving the PIR is a possibility but the only local would be in the middle of the beam above the garage door, and that has a steel beam behind it. Not having an off option was in retrospect, rather silly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back