External light wiring: What has been done wrong here?

Zoo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please take a look at this picture of the wiring on an external light on my house.

View media item 98563
The light doesn't work and I have no idea if the wiring is correct or not?

I've tried Googling for an answer but everyone seems to have their own opinions and I don't know who to trust?!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
We need a bit more information than you have given.
Some picture may help!
Has this light ever worked?
If so has there been any recent alterations to it or any work carried out in the property, that could have affected the working of it?

In case the first image is not visible for some reason. Here it is

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I didn't do any of the wiring myself and I do not have an understanding beyond; brown(live), blue(neutral), green/yellow(earth). Assuming that is correct. The colours coming out of the wall (grey,black, thin brown, thick brown) only confuse me. My electrical experience is literally; I once wired a plug, that's it!

I have the sense to not experiment without advice and I can see you guys would require more information/testing to advise properly. I am not comfortable unscrewing anything internally for fear of damaging finished walls etc so at this point at might just call a local electrician.

Thanks anyway.

It depends how the electrician wired the other end of the cable. We would just be guessing to be honest. Educated guess, but a guess all the same.

Can you take a photo from behind the switch plate that controls this?

I am not comfortable unscrewing anything internally for fear of damaging finished walls etc so at this point at might just call a local electrician.
It is wise to contact a qualified electrician, but the only reason that you could damage wall finishing by removing the switch plate. Is if a lazy idiot did the decoration and painted/papered the switch plate to the wall.
Or even possibly plastered or tiled in!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back