Total novice - changing a two way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Sorry in advance - total novice!! So diagrams would be much appreciated!

I'm changing a light switch which currently operates an outdoor light and a hallway light (neither of which are controlled anywhere else).

I purchased a 2-gang 2-way new switch and hopefully this is correct?!

Anyway, when the old one has been removed, the wiring is totally different. Could someone please advise what goes where to avoid blowing myself up the wall with a trial and error method?

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
A fairly easy one this for you.

The wires go into similar places.

The red wire at the top and the loop go into L.

The bottom wires go into L1 respectively. (if the switch works upside down, they go into L2)

The earth wire should also be connected up to that terminal on the front plate with a new bit of wire

A fairly easy one this for you.

The wires go into similar places.

The red wire at the top and the loop go into L.

The bottom wires go into L1 respectively. (if the switch works upside down, they go into L2)

The earth wire should also be connected up to that terminal on the front plate with a new bit of wire

Do I need to use a new piece of wire? Can I not just disconnect the green from the back box and connect it to the new plate?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
1st step and most important step, is turn off the power at the main fuse box/ consumer unit.
The switch will be live even if the lights are off.
Then move the red wires that're looped, from the old switch to the same places at the top of the new switch.
Then move the bottom left red to the bottom left terminal, and the bottom right yellow to the third from left bottom on the new one.
Edit and as Andy says connect the earth from the back box to the switch terminal. You're allowed to move the green wire over and leave the place it already is empty, but I always add a flying lead for safety.
The other thing id add is that if you get the red and yellow wires mixed up there's no way to blow yourself up. The only danger would be from putting the wrong thing where the green wire should be or leaving the main power on without the switch screwed back properly.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1st step and most important step, is turn off the power at the main fuse box/ consumer unit.
The switch will be live even if the lights are off.
Then move the red wires that're looped, from the old switch to the same places at the top of the new switch.
Then move the bottom left red to the bottom left terminal, and the bottom right yellow to the third from right bottom on the new one.
Edit and as Andy says connect the earth from the back box to the switch terminal. You're allowed to move the green wire over and leave the place it already is empty, but I always add a flying lead for safety.
The other thing id add is that if you get the red and yellow wires mixed up there's no way to blow yourself up. The only danger would be from putting the wrong thing where the green wire should be or leaving the main power on without the switch screwed back properly.

Thank you! That's tonight's job sorted!
clear.png

Better not to do it in the dark. Have gin tonight, change switch tomorrow, in the daylight, when the hangover has subsided!

Yes, good idea. Alcohol tonight - once I've tampered with the electrics tomorrow, tonight could be the last drink I have for a while - I think they'd frown on it in hospital!

If you are still worried, put a photo on here before you turn the power on! Someone will be around to confirm!

Rotate right hand triangle 180° then it will be exactly the same as the new switch.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-30_18-23-57.png
    upload_2016-9-30_18-23-57.png
    488.1 KB · Views: 155
I'm always getting my left bottom and right bottom mixed up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back