Changing Halogen fitting to conventional light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I want to change the existing Halogen light fitting back to a conventional Ceiling rose so that i can fit a conventional light fitting.

the other rooms on the same floor/lighting circuit use a mix of halogen fittings or ceiling rose's in the respective rooms

installing the actual ceiling rose is not a problem but im not sure about what changes i will need to make to the wiring and junction box.

The current wiring is set up for the halogen light as per the attached pictures:

my questions are:

1. Do i need to change the wiring in order to install a ceiling rose and then fit the conventional light fitting?

2. what are the details of the wiring changes that i need to make?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
The grey cable attached to the halogen fitting should have all you require, you will need to test that the earth/CPC is continuous and has an earth path back the board.
Other than that you could tidy things up a bit by replacing the junction box with a maintenance free one.

The wiring to the ceiling rose would be Red or Brown to live, Black or Blue to neutral and earth/CPC to the earth terminal of rose.
The CPC should be sleeved with a green and yellow sleeve.

Check that the existing lamp has not caused any scorching to the cable, if so clean it back to where it is undamaged, if the cable is not long enough you can replace it for new.

Last edited:
That's assuming there is only one downlight as per the picture, but I feel that might be unlikely?

If there's more than one downlight, you will need to find the first junction box in the circuit (likely closest to the switch) and then if you remove the two cables that go to the nearest fitting and the next fitting, replace with one length to the rose position, and as PBoD said, replace with a MF junction box

That's assuming there is only one downlight as per the picture, but I feel that might be unlikely?
The OP has only mentioned this halogen light in the singular, so I answered with that in mind.
If there's more than one downlight, you will need to find the first junction box in the circuit (likely closest to the switch) and then if you remove the two cables that go to the nearest fitting and the next fitting, replace with one length to the rose position, and as PBoD said, replace with a MF junction box
I agree

Sponsored Links
My be ystafell bach, but we still call it ty bach or little house standard name for the loo. Unless you need to add emergency lights, or fans there is no need for the permanent line at the ceiling rose the centre terminal can be left empty. If your lamps are heavy you may want to go for plug in type. That way you wire on the ground then plug in completed lamp.

The OP has only mentioned this halogen light in the singular, so I answered with that in mind.
I suppose he did yea, small (or dim) room!

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. So it seems fairly straight forward task.

Yes it is a single halogen light, The room is quite small but its still fairly dim with just a single halogen which is the reason for me wantign to change it.

So it seems fairly straight forward task.
It should be straight forward, you will have some remedial work to do to ceiling, the important things to look for is any scorching on cable from halogen lamp and that you have continuity of the CPC/Earth. And as advised previously, swapping over the standard junction box for an MF one would be an improvement. As it is likely you have the switch live to deal with at the junction, a Hager/Ashley J804 would be recommended.

Thanks for the recomendation on the MF box.

With regards to checking the Continuity of the CPC.
How do i go about this task and is it possible to do using only my basic multimeter?

Does the test need to be carried out for all the lights on the cirtcuit or can the test be carried out locally at the light/junction box in question?
Also what sort of readings should i be looking for.

Cheers
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back