Combining Light Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two light fittings in my kitchen, one at each end, and these are operated by two light switches, one by the back door, the other by the door to the living room.

I am looking at changing these to halogen downlights when I lower the ceiling, however I would like each switch to control both light fittings, so it is in effect two light switches on different walls controlling the entire lighting for the room.

Can I join the wiring from each rose using a junction box and then run two transformers of this with Five halogen lights each?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What you are asking for is two way switching - where each switch can turn the lights on or off. I.e. switch on at one switch, switch off at the other. This needs different wiring from the arrangement you currently have. Have a read of the reference section in this forum.

Bottom line - You will need to re-cable to the switches with three core & earth cable.

Hi

Thanks for that. If I connect both switches with three core, will I need to connect the two light fittings together?

Also, do I need to run mains to both switches?

since you are replaceing the lights with halogens anyway its besst to use a single 4 terminal juntion box to loop in at (use another one just to jon the cuircuit cables where the other fitting was )

see the for reference thread the normal way of doing 2 way switching is to run twin and earth from the light/junction box to one switch and run 3 and earth beween the switches

Sponsored Links
Hi

Currently there are two light switches on opposite walls. Each switch controls a separate bayonet light fitting.

Forget I asked that question. I was going to say that you should give more thought to your design - replacing 2 GLS pendants with 2 recessed downlighters won't give much light, but I've just noticed that you plan to install 10 downlighters.

Doh :oops:

Why 12V by the way, and not mains halogens? No manky transformers to worry about, easier dimming etc etc

I didn't realise there were mains halogens, the others I have fitted have all had transformers.

I will have look at this.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back