Halogen lights in kitchen/kitchen cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This concerns two issues.
Firstly, my husband has discovered that for the kitchen ceiling halogen lights, the electrician has used the daisy chain method but to connect the supply for the original ceiling rose to the wire supplying the halogen lights, he has simply used a light connector strip. Is this safe and correct? I'd have thought there should be a junction box?

Secondly, we discovered this because my husband is trying to wire up the undercabinet lights to a two gangway switch. One switch to supply the lights in the ceiling, the other to the unit lights. Presently, the unit lights are plugged into a socket. We were going to take a spur down from the junction box to supply the unit lights, but are stuck as there isn't one for the ceiling lights! Any ideas? Or should we just call it quits and call an electrician?!

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Familiarise yourself with the method of wiring used on your ceiling lights. Plenty of diagrams and info in the wiki. The ceiling rose is the "junction box".

And there should be no exposed terminals. The cable from the new lights should go straight into the ceiling rose (i presume the spark left the old ceiling rose in the ceiling, nothing wrong with this)

You should be able to pick up a live and neutral at the ceiling rose, and take this down to the new lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back