loop system and halogen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

looking for a bit of advice ! i want to install halogen downlight in my kitchen, i have a normal light pendant at the min, was going to wire the halogen in the daisy chain method. i have taken the the cover off the celling rose and discovered it is a loop system,

i have a live , neutral and 2 wires coming into the rose for the loop 1 from the live 1 from the neutral . on the celing rose the loop wires have there own block to go into ,but on the halogen i only have a small block within a case with connections for the live and neutral, my thinking was to put the neutral and its loop into the neutral position on the first down light and the same for the live is this correct or more impotantly safe before i start or do i need a junction box

any advice would be great

thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a junction box.

And you need to learn how lighting circuits work: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting.

And you need to be aware that the law requires you to apply for Building Regulations approval before you start this work, which if you do will probably cost around £200: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p.

And above all you need to consider the wisdom of installing downlighters, as they are not designed to light up rooms - it's not for nothing that many people call them spotlights. They are actually designed to produce narrow beams of light to illuminate a small spot, i.e. they are designed to specifically not do what you want them to. If you see them in use you always see a large number of them all over the ceiling like a rash.

It's very inefficient - add up how many watts you think you'll have and compare it to the light you currently have.

Plus in kitchens you can have problems with moist air getting up through all those holes. That can be a real no-no if what's above the ceiling is a roof. Flats or 3+ storey houses will require you to maintain the fire-rating of the ceiling, and with the former you may have issues with noise leakage into the flat upstairs.

There are decent recessed alternatives to your current light - you don't have to stick with that or a striplight on the ceiling, but those little 2" torches are not them.

These, for example:

or any number of similar ones. Look for PL, TC-D, TC-DE or TC-DEL recessed lights. Quite a few on fleabay these days.

Or if you'd like square, look for ones using 2D lamps.

Anything recessed though will still have the same possible concerns of moisture, fire and noise.

the building regs can take a run and jump

the halogen lights are for bathrooms and therefore will be fine

thanks for the interior design tips but keep them to yourself as i have had these in kitchens before with no problem.

the sparky from work came and did iin the end and i didt need a junction box so your wrong

i'm a carpenter and dont want to no about wiring as its the most boring trade out there.

i use this site ocasionally for advice when im unsure and would have to say the electrical section is the most condesending anal retentive section there is . been looking through older post and the same names keep poping up leaving stupid comments. if you are going to leave a comment at least be RIGHT

Sponsored Links
any advice would be great

thanks

Both bathrooms and kitchen count as work outside the scope of DIY and will require a cert.

With luck you haven't got one and when a fire starts, you won't have any hope of an insurance claim.

As for your attitude, you asked some questions, didn't like the answers and then get all antsy about it throwing random insults in the process.
Since you work wilth wood it might be an idea to treat yourself to a worming treatment.

Well a tamer reply from mr sheds get the sharp tounge from a chippy :O

Are all chippies so arrogant and narrow minded or is it just you because you are stupid and deserve to be talked down too, not that I can see that you were, you just got told what you didn't want to hear? I am sorry in advance if this offends you but by head wont fit in your back side so I cant really see things from your point of veiw.

why would they sell and why would thousands of people a year fit halogen lights if they were unsafe??????

they have been installed by a profesional now and he cant see a problem with them.

they light the room perfectly

chippies arrogant ? yes we are, because its a skilled job unlike some trades !

stupid? when it comes to wiring VERY

must remember not to ask for any more advice on this site as its full of people like you lot with nothing better to do with your time then talk down to people who ask a genuine question. ill stick with asking profesionals now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back