Fitting a new Halogen Spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When taking off the cover of the existing light, I expected to see just one cable, with three wires in it. But there is nine wires in total, although I'm mainly concerned about the neutral coloured wire (2nd from right) with live sleeving on it!

The picture shows...

(Left) 3 Neutrals into 'N'
(middle) 3 Lives into 'Loop'
(right) 1 'Neutral?' and one Live into 'LINE'
(bottom) Earth

The halogen light has a connection block with four blocks, one for the loop but I am reluctant to stick that neutral coloured wire with brown sleeving into what looks like should be the Live block

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The sleeved blue wire is the switch wire ;) , that should make things a bit clearer when you look at how it works.

P.S. There is currently too much copper showing, especially on the loop terminal.

Try and make sure you have no exposed copper when you terminate to the choc block

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, that's made it alot clearer now.

Just to clarify, I will connect the connection block as follows...

The three neutrals to N
The three LOOPS to LOOP
The Switch and the Live to L
The three earths to E

:cool:

BTW disinfo, this is a new build property and that is how the 'electricians' left the light, makes you wonder...

Makes you wonder what?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way they wired it....

OK - one could get picky about exposed copper, and the earths all in one sleeve, but in terms of what they put where it's just as it should be..

Ok, thanks for that. As you mentioned it, I will change the combined earth wires to individual sleeving when swapping the light over

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back