loft lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New to this forum but hoping for a little help.
Wiring up 3 new ceiling rose lights in my loft and the whole loop system is obviously confusing me!

So currently wired up a switch from an existing rose on the landing. Live to switch, neutral to neutral and earth to earth. The latter two via terminal block.

Then live from the switch to the loop section of the first light and then the n and e to the right part.

For the other two lights I have continued to use the loop.

When switched on the first light works but that's it.

Is there any reason why I have to use the loop part. Can I not just wire live to live and ignore the loop part of the fitting?

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
Hi, your L connection should be connected to the same terminal as the flex to the lamp holder.

Regards,

DS

Thanks DS
Just so I'm clear does that mean I can just move each live connection from the loop section to the live.
That's how i would have usually done it but the it will miss out the loop part of the light completely
Thanks

The loop terminal is used when both the incoming power and the light switch is connected to the rose.
As you have connected the incoming power at the switch, the loop terminals are not required.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes that's
The loop terminal is used when both the incoming power and the light switch is connected to the rose.
As you have connected the incoming power at the switch, the loop terminals are not required.
FP is quicker on the keys than me!

Regards,
DS

If you look at the first diagram here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

it shows how it all works, starting with just the circuit cable running from rose to rose, then switches being added, and finally lights. It's one of those things which looks confusing if you start with a rose and 9 conductors in it, but is actually very simple, and quite elegant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back