Bathroom Wiring disaster

You have committed the number one most common mistake.
No - it was Daisy's brother who did that.

And actually it was #2 mistake - #1 was him thinking that not knowing how something works was not in any way a reason to not fiddle with it.

Sponsored Links
:D
Lovely.
BTW - have you seen what those fairly good quality Duraplug rubber plugs and sockets can do when you get them hot enough ?
Going back "some years", it was common for farmers to have those old oil filled Pickhill Bantam welders - great bits of kit when you wanted to wind the arc up and get a decent blob of metal glued on. Of course, they didn't run too well through a 13A fuse which - rather inconveniently - would blow. Now every fool knows that a 1/4" bolt is a perfect replacement ...
Well I got to see what happened to the rubber socket on the end of an extension. Well if you imagine you've cut a banana in half (across the middle, not lengthways), are holding the stalk, and peel down the skin - well that's about what the casing had done, and stuck up in the middle like flower stamens were what was left of the terminals (blocks of brass on a stick of wire).
Apparently it was "quite spectacular" when it let go.

Going back "some years", it was common for farmers to have those old oil filled Pickhill Bantam welders
I have an old oil-filled Oxford welder.

Of course, they didn't run too well through a 13A fuse which - rather inconveniently - would blow.
The plug on it (which I think might well be a Duraplug) does not have a 13A fuse in it - it has a length of 15A fusewire soldered across the fuseholder.

Put the cuffs on and lead me away....

In my defence I would say that I did that as a callow youth when I knew not what I know now, and I haven't used the thing for years. Mrs Sheds thinks I should get rid of it. I think I should install a few strategically placed 16A 60309s and change the plug "just in case".

Women vs men, eh? :whistle:

Sponsored Links
I've seen lead solder in a 3036..... Must have been more of a pig to terminate than a 3036 is using standard fusewire...

I have an old oil-filled Oxford welder.
The plug on it (which I think might well be a Duraplug) does not have a 13A fuse in it - it has a length of 15A fusewire soldered across the fuseholder.

Put the cuffs on and lead me away....
By your own admission, having self confessed to a flagrant disregard of the regulations you should be publicly humiliated, all your property seized, and you should be left destitute and longing for a decent pothole to go and live in. Only joking :mrgreen:
I think I should install a few strategically placed 16A 60309s and change the plug "just in case".
I recall that Dad had a large quantity of 13A fuses many years ago - from decades spent replacing them with smaller sizes (in reference to another thread, not the plural there :whistle:). That stock (kept in an old yellow Kodak film roll box) started going down somewhat when he got the welder. At some point he put a C16 MCB and a 16A socket in a metal box and stuck that in the garage RFC.
While not technically wiring regs compliant, it's a pragmatic solution without any real hazard associated with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back