Convert a three way switch back to two

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

can anyone help me? I have two rooms that were origionaly one with three way switchs, one by each door controlling the two lights in the room. Now the room has been split, each of the original light filltings and switches are in seperate rooms and I need to convert the switches to operate the lights independantly. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
it depends on how it was wired in the first place.

sometimes it is easier and quicker to start again

look in the for refence section, it shows how it is done

However it's wired it's always possible to replace a switch with a piece of choc-block (or two pieces if removing an intermediate) to make the connection(s) that the switch made in one position, leaving the remaining switch as a 1-way. You may need to swap L1/L2 on this one or turn it upside down to get it to work the right way.

If you understand how 2- and 3-way switches are wired it's quite straightforward. The only problem is you'll be left with odd wiring which will confuse the hell out of somebody in the future...

i disagree, since it was a double room with 2 ceiling lights being two way and intermeadiate switched,

to do as you suggest makes me wonder how is the 2nd light going to work since it was probably wired in paralel with the 1st light (as you would have done)

Sponsored Links
Didn't think of that - it would never occur to me not to have 2-gang switches, in case I only wanted one end of the room lit....

And he does say he now wants to change it to work them "independently"; I didn't twig that...... :oops:

Question though, dmbarlow - you have 3-way switching, one switch by each door, and now two rooms - do you want to keep 2-way switching in the room with 2 doors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back