Dimmer switches - can I convert a master to a slave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to add dimmer switches to 2 adjoining rooms. Each room has two 2-way switches wired conventionally as follows:

switch2(slave) -> 3 wires -> switch1(master) -> 2 wires -> light

Now its pretty simple to convert this to dimmers by using master and slave dimmer switches.

HOWEVER - between the adjoining rooms is a 2-gang switch containing the master switch for one room, and the slave switch for the other room. Can I buy a two-gang master dimmer switch and convert one of the gangs to a slave? Or will I have to change to 2 single-gang dimmer switches next to each other?

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
Damn - looks like I've got to knock another hole in my wall....

Thanks for the speedy reply

Chris

It might be possible to do this with varilight dimmers. The two gang switch would have to become a two gang master and the other switches which are presume are singles, would become slaves.

However, this would involve using the live feed from one master switch to feed the other gang, making it a two gang master. The load can be connected to the slave at the other end.

I am not sure if the wiring regulations would allow this.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/TouchRemote.htm

Sponsored Links
I have thought about it some more. The live feed can be connected to the slave switch. You just need one master and as many slaves as you want. The live feed and load can be connected to any of the switches. The slaves and masters can be in any position. As long as there is only one master.

(In croaky voice)

"There is only one Master........."

Sounds like it ought to be a quote from a film....

journeyman said:
I have thought about it some more. The live feed can be connected to the slave switch. You just need one master and as many slaves as you want. The live feed and load can be connected to any of the switches. The slaves and masters can be in any position. As long as there is only one master.

Thinking about it, you're right!

In the TLC diagram, each pin in the master is wired directly to the same pin in the slave. So they're effectlively in parallel, and the load can be connected to either switch....

Thanks!! Saves me lots of work!

Chris

Hello,

Sorry to drag this old conversation up again.

Basically i just need somebody to clarify this with me.

I have 2 lights in my living room both controlled by dimmer switches at each end of the room.

I have connected these 2 gang swtches up 2 way so i can control each light from both ends of the room, however i now realise i need to buy a master and slave swtich so i can turn them up and down from each end of the room.

I was thinking of buying 2 master switches from here:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIS1402.html

and wiring them up as i have with the current 2 gang 2 way switches.

My question is will this work or do i have to wire them up differently or have a 1 gang master and a 1 gang slave at both ends?

Thanks for any advice.

If you currently have a working 2 gang, 2 way arrangement, and it has been wired with 3C+E cables between the two switches, then what you need is one 2 gang Varilight master and one 2 gang Varilight slave.

It doesn't matter which end of the cable the master and slave dimmers are, but they must be just that - one master and one (or more) slave(s).

Crap ASCII drawing below...

[code:1] One side of room Other side of room
(two gang master) (two gang slave)

L --O-------------------------------------O
O-------------------------------------O (CH 1)
SL --O-------------------------------------O

O-------------------------------------O-- L
(CH 2) O-------------------------------------O
O-------------------------------------O-- SL[/code:1]

Hi,

That is great thanks.

Do i have to buy the switches in my previous post i.e 2 master switches or can i buy any 2 gang varilight switches?

Thank you.

Thank you.

My final question is i have 5*40 watt bulbs in each light fitting - 200w total.
Therefore does that mean i can get either the 60w-400w or the 40w-250w switch?

Thanks for all the help.

I'd get the bigger one - it's not much more expensive and is less likely to overheat.

Hello,

Please can someone give me some help.

I have the 2 gang 2 way varilight 400w master and slave dimmers, however when both lights are on full the last one i turn on will turn off. The 2 chandeliers have 5 40w bulbs in each.

Could someone tell me why this might be happening.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back