Varilight Setup

Sorry about the quality of the two gang switch. The switches are in a cinema room and the two gang is behind the screen, hence why it isn't needed anymore.

If the Master/Slave scenario won't work I will go back to the drawing board and think of another way to control the lights.

Attachments

• IMG_7017.jpg
    IMG_7017.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7023.jpg
    IMG_7023.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
First impressions of that, is theres NO 3 core between switches and as per EFLI's first drawing the switchline is at 1 switch and the Supply at the other, adapting that to slave keeping 2 way is unlikely due to possibly only 2 link cables between switches, a rotary 2 way dimmer may be your best option, though adapting to one way using your IR master is possible, with a bit of thought

First impressions of that, is theres NO 3 core between switches and as per EFLI's first drawing the switchline is at 1 switch and the Supply at the other, adapting that to slave keeping 2 way is unlikely due to possibly only 2 link cables between switches, a rotary 2 way dimmer may be your best option, though adapting to one way using your IR master is possible, with a bit of thought

Would you recommend getting in a professional?

As Ban says you could learn how to do it, by studying the Websites drawing and the FIRST schematic posted by EFLI earlier.
Draw it out and transpose what you have colour wise on to that, post up for confirmation.

There is a way you could use just your master and just leave the other 2 gang switch behind the screen as it is, unused.
This entails using just the Live and the switch line , Irrespective of what Switch there at, by using one of the strapper wires to get both to the dimmer location

If you dont feel competent then a professional may be the way forward.
Though i would say on a difficulty level of about 5 out of 10 for a diyer

Sponsored Links
There is a way you could use just your master and just leave the other 2 gang switch behind the screen as it is, unused.
This entails using just the Live and the switch line , Irrespective of what Switch there at, by using one of the strapper wires to get both to the dimmer location

Thanks pal.

I just don't understand what you mean by 'Strapper Wires' maybe that is sign enough that I should leave this well alone!

I think the garage may also be two way. one entrance now blocked off by a cinema screen.

Thanks pal.

I just don't understand what you mean by 'Strapper Wires' maybe that is sign enough that I should leave this well alone!
Yes its a shame, but sometimes you need to admit defeat.
Strapper is a term for the 2 or more wires that link between 2way and sometimes intermediate switches to create the switching function.
To be fair 2 way can be a headache for some so called electricians too.

Cheers for all the help pal.

I may return them both and try something different. Possibly a wifi switch instead?

Possibly a wifi switch instead?
Those require a neutral connection, which you haven't got.

Realistic options:
1. Keep the existing switches
2. Replace one of them with a normal 2 way dimmer switch
3. Pay someone to make the required alterations to the wiring for linked dimmers, wifi, remote control and so on.

Cheers for all the help pal.

I may return them both and try something different. Possibly a wifi switch instead?
There is another possibility, depending on what lights you have, you can get "Bulbs" that are wi fi controlled and you just leave them switched on at the existing switch

Things are never straight forward.

Unfortunately they are attached to G9 bulbs, so I doubt they come in wi-fi variety.

Looks like I am paying an electrician to come.. Enjoy your Sunday evenings.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I decided to buy the slave and try in my Living Room instead.

It has two switches, both one gang, two way. I replaced one switch with the Varilight master, Com to Live, L1 to Load and L2 to slave (picture below).

I then went to the other switch and replaced it with the slave. Again, Com to Live, L1 to Load and L2 to Slave. I turned the power back on and nothing.

What is wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_7030.jpg
    IMG_7030.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 97

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back