Varilight - fitting 2 way dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm trying to fit a master and slave varilight dimmer set in one room. The issue im having is that the original switches have Com, L1 and L2 and the varilight switches have slave live and load connections.

Ive attached a diagram of how i've tried installing both master and slave varilight switches but when i try the switches, both master and slave do not respond, lights do not turn on.

I hope someone can have a look at the diagram attached and possibly advise where ive gone wrong.

Many thanks,
Matt

[url]//www.diynot.com/network/mdubski/albums/ [/url]

Sponsored Links
You have the switches the wrong way round.

That is the five wires go to the master.

Just treat S as Common and transfer the wires from the old switches and
make sure the wires in the other two terminals on the master go to the same terminals on the slave.

Many thanks for the quick reply, will swap both switches round in the morning.

I though that with the new harmonised colours brown was live. Load was black and neutral was grey, on the original switch brown (live) was connected to COM and according to the wiring instructions, it says Live should be connected to Live and not S or slave, is that not the case?

Thanks

On the original switch diagram.

Change Com to S, L1 to Live, L2 to Load.

There are two other browns on the right hand switch (which should be Master)
You will need to determine which of these is the permanent live and connect to Live on the switch.
The other will be the switched live connected to load. This goes to the light.

As for colours, wires can be anything we want.
Obviously if we can use brown for live etc. we will.

However, in your case only one of the wires is permanently live.
ALL of the others will be live depending on the switch positions.

They should all be sleeved in brown to denote this although it doesn't help to show which is which.

Sponsored Links
I have now swapped the master and slave and rewired both switches as suggested.

The master dimmer works as it should, without any issues, but I have an issue with the slave switch.

If the lights are off, the slave will not turn them on, but if the master dimmer has switched the lights on, the slave can turn the lights off but does not respond to turn the lights back on.

I have added a diagram how the switches are now connected.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

The only thing that can be wrong is the cable with the two browns.

Did you determine which was permanently live and connect to Live with the other to load?

Unless, of course, one of the wires is not terminated correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back