Varilight 2 way dimmer installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on my current predicament.

I have installed a varilight master dimmer in my hall and a slave in my landing to control my landing light using a

two way circuit. The cabling consists of a 3 core and earth between the switches and a two core and earth from the

slave to the ceiling rose. I cannot get the light to work with the slave installed. The master will work however if

the slave is substituted with a standard rocker switch and the switch is "ON". The rocker switch however can only

turn the light off and will not turn it back on. Obviously I want to get both the Master and the slave working

correctly so I have control from both locations.

This is how the switches are wired:

At the MASTER switch:

Yellow to Load (or wavy)
Red to Live
Blue to Slave (or S)

At the SLAVE switch:

Yellow from MASTER switch to: Load (or wavy)
Blue from MASTER switch and Black to ceiling rose to: Live
Red from MASTER switch and Red to ceiling rose to: Master (or S)

Any help would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Readonly said:
How many cables and cores do you have behind each switch?

I have a three core and earth at the master. At the slave is a twin and earth to the rose and the three core and earth from the master.

Hi
Havent done one for a while but if my memory serves me rite then you should wire them like so:-

Master unit

1.Connect the red from the twin and the red from the 3 core and earth to the live feed terminal
2. connect the black from the twin to the blue of the 3 core and earth to the switched live terminal
3. connect the yellow from the 3 core and earth to the S terminal

Slave Unit

1. connect the red from the 3 core and earth to the live terminal
2. connect the blue from the 3 core and earth to the swithched live terminal
3. connect the yellow from the 3 core and earth to the S terminal

The master switch will have to be positioned at the swich point where the twin +earth and the 3 core and earth come in to the switch.

Sponsored Links
Gaz the Sparky said:
The master switch will have to be positioned at the swich point where the twin +earth and the 3 core and earth come in to the switch.

I do not have this arrangement at the moment as the master is part of a two gang (the other controlling the hall light) but does it matter which switch the twin + earth is connected as the three core and earth will bring the same connection to the master? Or is it what I have feared all along: the slave is internally wired differently to the master?

Anyone correct me if im wrong but I dont think it will matter aslong as you connect it up as I stated before use the yellow core of the 3 core cable to connect the s connections together then the reds together in the feed connection and then the black and blue together in the switched feed

diybodger said:
I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on my current predicament.

I have installed a varilight master dimmer in my hall and a slave in my landing to control my landing light using a

two way circuit. The cabling consists of a 3 core and earth between the switches and a two core and earth from the

slave to the ceiling rose. I cannot get the light to work with the slave installed. The master will work however if

the slave is substituted with a standard rocker switch and the switch is "ON". The rocker switch however can only

turn the light off and will not turn it back on. Obviously I want to get both the Master and the slave working

correctly so I have control from both locations.

This is how the switches are wired:

At the MASTER switch:

Yellow to Load (or wavy)
Red to Live
Blue to Slave (or S)

At the SLAVE switch:

Yellow from MASTER switch to: Load (or wavy)
Blue from MASTER switch and Black to ceiling rose to: Live
Red from MASTER switch and Red to ceiling rose to: Master (or S)

Any help would be most welcome.

Simple...

At the master connect the following

Red to Live
Blue to Load or wavy
Yellow to S

At the Slave...

Live - Red from three core + Red from Twin to ceiling rose
Load - Blue from three core + Black from Twin to ceiling rose
S - Yellow from master

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back