2-way light switch - only 3 wires at each end ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace an existing 2-way light switch with a 'master' and 'slave' touch-remote dimer from TLC

I was expecting to find :

5 wires (excluding earth) at the master location - red and black from junction box + red, yellow & blue from switch cable

3 wires (excluding earth) at the slave location - red, yellow & blue from switch cable.

Instead, I have red, yellow and blue at the master switch (note: No cable from junction box), and brown, blue and green/yellow at the slave (yes - that's flex wire....)

Everything works fine currently with two 2-way switches.

Can anyone explain how this setup is working, and whether it's possible to use the TLC dimmers in this setup - their wiring diagram shows they require 3 direct connections from master to slave in addition to Live at the master switch and variable neutral location.

Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I think you will find two way switching has not always been carried out by the method used today.
Years ago when ceiling roses only had two terminals the 'live' would go to switch 1 (com). There were then only two wires going switch to switch (L1 to L1 and L2 to L2).Then the black (switched live) would go to the ceiling rose. After the lamp the neutral would return to the fuse box.
So in this situation you have three wires at each switch.
Todays method makes more use of running a cable containing the wires to switch 1 and then linking both switches with three wires (com to com. L1 to L1 and L2 to L2).
I would suggest you have the earlier method.
The master you refer to requires the 'live' and 'switched live' at one of the switches so its not a simple swop like for like.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back