Master and Slave Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

new to this forum, wondering if anybody could help ?

Im installing a master dimmer ( 2 way 2 gang dimmer) one gang will operate one set of lights whilst the other gang will operate another set but will work in conjunction with another switch located at the other end of the kitchen. For this I have been told I needed a slave dimmer which is 2 way 2 gang, to work with the master, the other gange operates a set of lights under the kitchen cupboards.

My question is what wires go where ! I have attached more details

Here is the switch as it stands which I want to replace with the Slave:

P1010327.jpg

Heres the slave:

P1010338-1.jpg

The Bottom 2 Red (Com and L1) wires operate the lights under the cupboards, does the COM red go in the Live or the Load of the dimmer , the other red will obviously go into the one thats left ( not the slave entry)

To act as the slave for the other connection I have 2 yellows in L2, one red in Com then a feed from that into L1 and also a Blue wire into L1.

Im not sure where the wire goes from COM to L1 in the dimmer, nor where the 2 Yellow wires go!

Is COM the Live and the L1 / L2 the load ? Im puzzled why the red wire goes from COM to L1

For the Master I have this switch connected

P1010340-1.jpg

The Yellow cable with the red tape on it I assume goes into the Slave part of the dimmer here in between the Red and Blue cable on the right hand side or am I wrong ?

The Red wire and the Blue wire are replicated at the other switch where the slave will go.

The Left hand side showing the 2 red 1 Brown in Live and 1 Yellow in Load is for the other set of lights in the kitchen.

For the slave to work in conjunction with the Master I am assuming that the Blue on the slave part will go into Live and the Red will go into Load and the Yellow into slave ? Is this right r wrong ?

should there also be a link from live to load onto the dimmer as shown in the first pic where this is a link from Com to L1 ( short red wire connections)

Hope this makes sense!

anybody help ?

Im waiting to complete my kitchen and dont want to blow the dimmers.
any help really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
no!no!

On your original switch picture two triangles!!!!!!

Theres one on the left, one on the right, which corosponds to the left and right switches.

The wire to the top left COM is permemant live, and the right switch also needs this perm live. This is why there is a loop!!!!!

The blue and yellow and Red in the right switch are strappers. These go to the other switch, and must be connected like for like at both ends.

The loop wire is to be connected between the two lives.

At the other switch location, besides the three strappers, you'll have a switched live, which connects to the ~ terminal (NOT S).

If you're intending to use a slave on its own to power the undercupboard lights, you wont succeed. A slave will not work on its own. Sorry.

Hang on, you've totally confusing me now. I didnt realise what your pictures were of.

The master switch is connected wrong. Very wrong.

You need to fix this first. :cry:

For a start theres two sets of strappers there - red, yellow, blue. Why are none of the blues and yellows connected? They need to be, for this to work.

Where to the strappers go?

You must be absolutely clear about everything.

Dont forget that for every slave switch you NEED a master wired to it.

This setup will only work one way, we need to work it out.

This is gonna be very difficult, unless you know how the original "master" was wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back