COM - orange ..............S
L2 - Light Grey/Blue......Load
L1 - Dark Grey/Brown....Live

Switch 2:
COM - brown................S
L2 - Dark Grey..............Load
L1 - Light Grey..............Live

For future reference -
With the three core cable it doesn't matter which wire/colour is used as long as it is the same at both switches.

As bas says there is not no set translation, in your case it seems you had the Dark grey core connected L1 at one end and L2 at the other

The above suggests to me the existing strappers L1 and L2 were crossed over on the old switches which was not a problem
I would personally have

Dark grey- live at both switches
Light grey - load at both switches

To conform to the instructions, whether it matters i dont know

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, is that my mistake again?

When told he had L1 and L2 the wrong way round I just swapped without looking.
So in the OP it looked correct but wasn't and then when corrected it was wrong.
It would have been better to start again wouldn't it?

Sorry. I shall amend again in case anyone else reads.

Well spotted.

getmecoat.gif

Sponsored Links
Oh well .....
I'll swap the dark and light grey over at the weekend.

All seems to be working so could probably be left as is, but I'll change for correctness.

Thanks

I'd argue that it should be possible to replace a switch like for like without being a fully qualified electrician.
And I will argue, until my dying breath, that doing electrical work without a full and genuine understanding of what you are doing is completely unacceptable. I will argue that following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without knowing why is an incredibly misguided approach.

You don't have to be a qualified electrician, BUT YOU MUST UNDERSTAND AS MUCH AS ONE WITH RESPECT TO ANY JOB YOU CHOOSE TO DO.

No lesser level of competence can be tolerated.

Don't know where the orange wire came from, from the photos it looks brown, although a lighter shade than the other brown. The colours in your cables look entirely normal being brown and blue for the twin and earth. Brown, black and grey for the 3c and earth. Correctly sleeved with brown for any line wire which itself isn't brown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back