Varilight 2g2w dimmers- load slave and live connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Before swapping my conventional 2g2w rocker swtiches for varilight touch dimmers, I wanted to check differences in naming for the connections.

On the existing switches the three terminals are labelled COM, L1 and L2.

On the new switches, I have LOAD, SLAVE and LIVE.

Which corresponds to which? Can I avoid getting a multimeter out?

many thanks

Mat

Sponsored Links
Do you currently have a one way or two (or more) way switching setup?

Do you have instructions with the new dimmer? What do they tell you?Is there a connection diagram?

Sorry- more info- its a 2 way switching set up- a light at the top and bottom of the stairs, each is operable by a single switch either at the top OR bottom of stairs.

Attached is the 2 way wiring diagram from the manual.

Picture2.jpg

I dont know which is the permanent live- hence the comment about the multimeter.

The setup is as expected with a 3core (red [COM], yellow [L1], blue [L2]) cable between each of the switches and twin(red [L1] & black [L2]/earth going to the fitting itself (twin/earth only at one of the switches closest to the fitting).

Thanks!

Matt

Sponsored Links
the switch with thetwin and earth along with the 3 core and earth will dictate the way it is wired..

can you post photo's of the switches for us? it makes it a lot easier to advise..

from your description..

dimslave.jpg

red in twin and earth to red in 3 core, black to blue..

all sleeved red please to indicate switch wires..

also.. bad idea to dim stairway lights..

Hi ColJack

Thanks for the advice. As requested, some pics of the back of the existing switches as they are currently wired.

TOP STAIR SWITCH
DSC00091.JPG

BOTTOM STAIR SWITCH (sorry for the odd angle!)
DSC00087.JPG

I made this diagram to try and make things clearer?
Slide1.jpg

Many thanks

Matt

yeah wire like i said.

you can see on the back of the switch that they are grouped as 2 seperate switches.. the top COM goes with the bottom L1 and L2. etc..

mattswitch.jpg

you'll need a twin master at the one end and a twin slave at the other.. ( can you get twin touch dimmers? )

shouldn't matter what end you put the live and load feeds as they are linked to the master anyway..

Light dawns on marble head! :) As soon as you pointed out that 'oblique' divide on the switches, rather than two discrete rows it makes a lot more sense!

So, just to recap and make everything clear, you suggested:

1.red in twin and earth to red in 3 core, black to blue..

2. all sleeved red please to indicate switch wires

1. This is slightly different to how it is at the moment (ie red 3 core and red twin/earth)- is this a more standard convention?

2. Re: extra red sleeving to denote live(s)- I was going to put a red sleeve on the black wire from the twin/earth, but now I think about it are you suggesting that all cores should have red sleeves because all (ignoring earths for now) are permanent or switched live?

I think that I am nearly there, thanks ever so much for your help.

M
PS. Re: twin touch dimmers- yup! They are remote control too- here!

it's more personal choice...

the red in the 3 core at the moment denotes the comon.. but i prefer to keep the reds together to indicate a permanent live.. with blue and yellow as switched lives.. and keep the blues with the blacks..

each to their own..

Hi ColJack

Just to let you know that I fitted the switches as per your advice - success!

Thanks again.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back