Varilight Setup

Cheers pal.

Why are they so complicated and not just like a normal switch?

Sponsored Links
Why are they so complicated and not just like a normal switch?
They absolutely are not complicated, and they are just like a normal switch.

upload_2018-12-2_19-52-12.png

It strikes me that for the cinema room, the unused switch could be removed, appropriate connections made (including "parking" unused cores) with suitable terminals, and then fit a blank plate. A single dimmer should then work at the other switch position.

Sponsored Links
This is interesting. Can you point me to the blanking switch you would recommend?

There is no blanking switch, if you remove that switch you will likely mess up the garage light, leave the 2 gang light switch alone, in the right position it will use the correct strapper to get the other wire back to your main switch, you can then fit just your master to the two wires that are there and cap off the 3rd (strapper) wire safely unused.

The 2 way garage will work as normal and the master will work provided the switch behind the screen is left alone, if accidentally turned off the the master will simply not work. till that switch is put back.
You have had all the drawings to work out how its done, if you remove that 2 gang switch which is not necessary i think you will end up in a right state.

Actually, I would remove the 2 gang switch. For each switch, put the two red wires into one terminal*, and put the black wire into a separate terminal*. Then put a blank plate over the box. The garage light will now work as single way switching from the other switch.
At the single switch position, the two red wires can now be connected to the dimmer (and "park" the black wire in a single terminal*) and it will work as required.

You could leave the 2 gang switch as-is as 333rocky333 suggests. Just put the dimmer across the two red wires at the single switch position and put the black wire into a single terminal to park it out of the way. The room lights will work as long as the hidden switch is in the right position.

* By which I mean (for example) what is commonly referred to as "choc block" terminal strip.

Personally I feel once he has disconnected all these wires and then found it still don't work, he will struggle to put them back correct and would be nigh on impossible to put back via instructions over internet, leaving him with no cinema room light and or possibly the garage light'

Whilst Simons correct it will work, he appears to have more knowledge of 2 way circuits than the Op, that with no disrespect has had nearly 3 weeks to work out from the attached drawings what is an achievable way to sort it out.

Once he has it working he can possibly remove that 2 gang switch in the future but whats the point, its out of site and barely accessible to take a photo, let alone work on it.

There is also still the possibility the dimmer is now damaged due to previous attempts of connecting it, so if it don't work after that 2 gang switch is removed, it will be even harder to work out whether the problem is the switch or at the other switch point.

Personally I feel once he has disconnected all these wires and then found it still don't work, he will struggle to put them back correct and would be nigh on impossible to put back via instructions over internet, leaving him with no cinema room light and or possibly the garage light'

Whilst Simons correct it will work, he appears to have more knowledge of 2 way circuits than the Op, that with no disrespect has had nearly 3 weeks to work out from the attached drawings what is an achievable way to sort it out.

Once he has it working he can possibly remove that 2 gang switch in the future but whats the point, its out of site and barely accessible to take a photo, let alone work on it.

There is also still the possibility the dimmer is now damaged due to previous attempts of connecting it, so if it don't work after that 2 gang switch is removed, it will be even harder to work out whether the problem is the switch or at the other switch point.

I don’t disagree.

I appreciate the support, but have resigned myself to getting an electrician in to sort this problem.

I am also worried that I have damaged the switch through my heavy handed attempts to make it work, but we live and learn.

Thanks for all the help.

I don’t disagree.

I appreciate the support, but have resigned myself to getting an electrician in to sort this problem.

I am also worried that I have damaged the switch through my heavy handed attempts to make it work, but we live and learn.

Thanks for all the help.
You can resolve this yourself, think positive :)

Study the relevant drawings, draw up what you have now and what you think is correct, ignore the wires for the garage switch side and concentrate on the relevant cinema side, draw the wires and note the terminal names, Ie Com, L1,L2 or whatever, also do the same for the other switch location, then take photo and post the drawing on here for verification, before doing anything, you can then wire it and do a mock test by using your existing switch as 1 way to confirm it works, before fitting your new dimmer, if all fine then fit your dimmer and if that fails, then you will know you have broke the dimmer and you can just get another.
Sorry, we should not just tell you to stick this wire here and there, without you understanding why, hope you understand,
To help you along

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back