Varilight Setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a Varilight IR Master 1 gang Dimmer for a room that I initially thought just was 2 way.

I tried to setup the dimmer today, but got no joy. I put the L1 into Live, L2 into Load and L3 into slave, but nothing turned on.

When I checked the other switch I found out it was a 2 gang 2 way, as the room has two entrances, one down to the garage and this switch also goes to the garage.

Now I have bought a one gang slave for the other switch that controls the room and goes to the garage, as I don't need it to run the garage.

My questions are, firstly did I wire the first light up correctly? Secondly, did it not come on because the L3 went into a slave slot and the slave isn't a varilight? Thirdly, now that I have bought the slave unit, can I wire it up for the room only and just electrical tape the wires that control the garage?

Sponsored Links
I tried to setup the dimmer today, but got no joy. I put the L1 into Live, L2 into Load and L3 into slave, but nothing turned on.
Did you just had three wires connected to the switch?

How many at the other switch - ignoring the Garage wiring?

Did the old system use slaves, slaves are not the same as 2 way and need to be wired up different.
To be honest i dont understand the post is there actually 2 switches or 3 switches

I have bought a Varilight IR Master 1 gang Dimmer for a room that I initially thought just was 2 way.
Do you still think it is just 2-way? You haven't really told us anything that makes it clear one way or the other.

When I checked the other switch I found out it was a 2 gang 2 way
But you were expecting it to be a 2-way. The way you phrased that makes it sound as though you encountered something you weren't expecting.

as the room has two entrances, one down to the garage and this switch also goes to the garage.

Now I have bought a one gang slave for the other switch that controls the room and goes to the garage, as I don't need it to run the garage.
You've lost me.

How many switches are there?

How many (sets of) lights do they control?

My questions are, firstly did I wire the first light up correctly? Secondly, did it not come on because the L3 went into a slave slot and the slave isn't a varilight? Thirdly, now that I have bought the slave unit, can I wire it up for the room only and just electrical tape the wires that control the garage?
My questions are:

Firstly, did you look at the wiring diagram(s) in the instructions? Did you follow them?
Secondly, did you look at the wiring diagram(s) in the instructions? Did you follow them?
Thirdly, do you no longer want to be able to turn the garage lights on and off?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry for my vagueness and thank you for the replies.

Just to clear up the confusion (hopefully.) There are two switches in the room and one set of lights.

There is a light switch as you enter the room, it is a one gang, two way switch with L1, L2 and L3 wires in the back. I want to change this switch for a Varilight IR Dimmer. However when I changed the switch and followed the instructions it didn't work. I assumed this was due to the second switch in the room still being a standard (non Varilight IR) switch.

When I went to the other switch it is a 2 gang, 2 way switch. I don't actually need this switch at all, it is next to a second exit out of the room that is actually blocked off. This switch controls the lights in the room and the lights in the garage below.

I ordered the slave switch as I assumed the Master Dimmer won't work because of this second switch being a standard switch. If I replace the second switch with the slave I know it won't run the garage lights as I bought a one gang switch. I was wondering if I could just tape up the garage wires? Therefore this switch would only control the lights in the room along with the master switch.

Alternatively could I just tape up the wire in the first switch to prevent it being two way? Therefore the first switch would just become a one gang one way switch? However the second switch would still be connected to the lights? I could of course tape all those wires up too as I don't need that switch at all. Is that a possibility?

Sorry if this hasn't cleared up the confusion.

However when I changed the switch and followed the instructions it didn't work.
I put the L1 into Live, L2 into Load and L3 into slave, but nothing turned on.
I'm sure the instructions did not say to do that.

What the wires are and do is different in different wiring methods.

Please post a picture of the back of both switches so that we can see to which terminals the wires are connected.

Thanks for the response at such a late hour. I will add a photo tomorrow. I assumed L1 was the same as com, therefore is the live connector on the Varilight. I then went for L2 as Load and then L3 as Slave.

The current switch has two red wires and one black wire. One red wire is in L1, one in L3 and the black in L2.

Thanks for the response at such a late hour. I will add a photo tomorrow. I assumed L1 was the same as com,
It is on switches marked L1, L2 & L3 - but L1 might not be where the supply live should go.

therefore is the live connector on the Varilight. I then went for L2 as Load and then L3 as Slave.
You might be right and so just require the other dimmer at the other switch. it depends how it is wired.

The current switch has two red wires and one black wire. One red wire is in L1, one in L3 and the black in L2.
It could be either of these:

upload_2018-11-25_0-1-51.png

or other arrangements.

Ah, so if I tape up the wiring to the slave it won't work as the circuit won't be complete?

The instructions (https://www.varilight.co.uk/leaflets/VARILIGHT V-Pro IR Dimmer Instructions 921.pdf) indicate that "Master" units for "VARILIGHT V-PRO IR DIMMERSWITCHES" are suitable for use by themselves or in association with one or more appropriate "Slave" unit(s) but not with actual "switches".

That is why I think I need to replace the second switch to make it work. My issue being that the second switch is then part controlling another room, so I would potentially then have to go an change that light switch too?

We don't know. We can't tell. You need to supply the information I asked for.

If this is your arrangement, you won't be able to have two dimmers.

upload_2018-11-25_12-43-52.png

If it is, can you work out what to do to even have one dimmer?

All slave and master systems are dependant on where the switch line and supply cable are connected using the Wavy line terminal and the L terminal , these must be connected to the relevant terminals, the slave wire just links switch to switch it must have no other wires connected to it, especially not a Live cable.

A master can be used alone and the Slave terminal unused, or with a Slave by linking the "S " slave terminals, Slave is not the same as a 3rd terminal on a normal 2 way switch.
The Slave system is designed to allow for dimming from 2 positions and not a Dimmer and Switch combo.

You cannot guess this as you will damage the switch.

Without pictures of the ORIGINAL connections its pointless to quess, i still cant decipher what you had Originally, though it sounds like.
You had a 2 gang Switch and a 1 gang Switch and NO dimmers

if One of the switches contains just a 3 core cable then its likely you can adapt to a slave master system.

If so Study EFLI's second schematic drawing and the Varilight website schematic and thats what you need .

No disrespect, but I think your better forgetting the IR and just getting a normal 2 way dimmer, or finding a 2 way IR version thats Not for use with Master/Slave set ups.
Removing and isolating switches can get a bit tricky

No disrespect, but I think your better forgetting the IR and just getting a normal 2 way dimmer, or finding a 2 way IR version thats Not for use with Master/Slave set ups.
I think he would be better off if he spent a bit of time learning how light switches are wired, what they do, how they work, etc, before trying to change them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back