Halogen downlighter wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a set of 5 x 50W mains voltage halogen downlighters. Each unit has only a live and neutral connection at the base. The “instructions” that came with the set simply say “the units can be wired in series”. These lights are going to replace recessed ES light fittings (non-halogen). What is the best way to install the new lights? The existing switch was hopefully going to control all 5 lights. What I was thinking is this: take the feed from one of the existing lights, take away ES fitting and replace with a 3-terminal junction box in void. Then, put in a junction box above each new halogen fitting, supplying the light and the next fitting. Does this make sense? Am I on totally the wrong track? Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
i should re read the instructions if i were you, but your idea is ok, have a look in the refence section (and pay hommage to b-a-s)

Please believe that I'm not rash enough to jump into a project without reading the instructions! ;) So yes, I've already read and re-read the documentation that came with the product. However, they're not much use, unfortunately, which is why I thought I'd post here. The instructions say "These units can be wired in series, as pictured above"; the only picture they show is how to connect a single unit. So that's not much use.

You say that my idea "is ok". Just "ok"? I guess what I'm asking is whether anyone would advise a better way of doing it?

Many thanks.

If the bulbs are rated at 230v i.e. are real mains halogen lamps then they should be wired in parallel - see the reference section Breezer pointed out by Ban. Wring in series would make them dim and an unusual arrangement.

Who made the lamps / kit? Do they have a technical helpline - it could be another example of the series/parallel confusion.

Sponsored Links
it could be another example of the series/parallel confusion

Thanks, b-n, that's certainly cleared it up in my head at least. Yes, they are 230V rated, but I'll give their technical helpline a call to confirm what they mean by "series". (Would I be right in thinking, then, that this should be referred to as "parallel"? Or is this "series" when referring to AC wiring?).

Each unit just has a L and N terminal; another thing that the documentation says is to twist the Earth cables together to maintain E continuity through the house circuit. Is it safe to do this and cover with insulating tape, or should some kind of connection blocks be used? (The units are double-insulated).

cheers.

There's an over arching requirement that all electrical connections are made inside fireproof enclosures. No unsheathed cables should be exposed outside the enclosures. I'm assuming that the L&N connections in your units are covered ... otherwise they cannot be double insulated. The earths need to be connected together in a connector block, crimped etc.

You might find it easiest to join your loop in and out cables (ie the cables coming from the last light and going to the next) in a choc block enclosed connector and then provide a short 2 core flex fly lead into the lamp enclosure.

Don't twist the earths together - as they will come apart either by themselves of when someone tugs on a cable sometime in the future.

Also when you have wire the lamps up don't forget to continuity test the earth cable at the final lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back