replacing halogen kitchen downlights with LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i want to replace 5 x halogen downlights in my kitchen cupboards with LEDs.
after pulling the wires down i can see they are taking power from the mains, into a junction box, and then via a transformer.

1 transformer has all of the halogen lights connected to it.

given that i want to replace with LED i'm going to remove the transformer, but that leaves me with just 1 main power supply (with a live and neutral cable) and i need to power 5 new LED lights.

what is the best way for me to split the single main feed so that i can run 5 new LEDs from it?

thanks
James

Sponsored Links
A junction box (maintenance-free if it will be inaccessible afterwards) with supply cable and five cables connected to it, or

one cable from junction box then loop from light to light, or

connect the supply cable to one light if it reaches and then loop to the other lights.

A junction box (maintenance-free if it will be inaccessible afterwards) with supply cable and five cables connected to it, or ...
IF one took that approach, and IF the JB were going to become inaccessible, then I think the only way that one might be able to do it would be with Wago connectors in a Wagobox (although, without looking, I'm not sure that they would claim that this configuration of connectors would qualify as 'MF') - since I'm not aware of any other 'MF' approach which could accommodate 6 sets of conductors ... and, one would need 6-way Wago connectoirs, which I think are only available as 'push in (not 'lever') types.

If it were practicable, one or other of the 'looping' approaches you mentioned would probably be preferable.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Then use the alternative approch and do not make the JB(s) inaccessible.
Yep, either that or (which would be my personal preference, if practicable) use one of the looping methods you mentioned.

Mind you, if one did decide to use an accessible JB, then I think one would be advised to choose the JB carefully, since one might struggle to work with six sets of conductors/cables in some of them.

Kind Regards, John

That's why I put an s in brackets.
Fair enough, but if one invokes that "s in brackets", then it (they) could be inaccessible, since one could then do it with just two J803s (or equivalent). I admit that I should have thought of that "two (inaccessible) MF JBs" approach myself!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back